2012 Grivel Tools

MJaso

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are out now at least in Europe. Google the Avatar, that is coming this fall in limited numbers. Pretty psychedelic. Have not climbed ice with any of these but have done some drytooling with the Force Carbons and they are pretty incredible for that at least. The curve being so high on the shaft means you can really grip high on the tool before it changes the direction of pull on the picks. The only beef with that tool is the lack of a good attachment point for even clipping to the harness. The little metal loop at the top deforms pretty quickly.

Not just the EU for Grivel's gear. Little hard to get maybe but not impossible.

Drew sez: "these are the E-Climb climbbubu tools, Grivel started distributing them under the new names this year on a limited (EU) basis."

Limited maybe (world wide) but not impossible in NA.

E-climb and Bubu aren't the same btw. Totally different tools and companies.

Grivel isn't doing anything with E-climb that I know of. Not that I would be privy to that but haven't seen any thing ot suggest it. Spain and Italy and all... And I didn't ask while @ Grivel, for several reasons, about the relationship if any to Bubu.

http://www.climbubu.com/

http://www.e-climb.com/index.asp?ididioma=1&esc=1&divisa=2

Matt and I spent some time visiting factories while I was in Europe, including Grivel.

Lots of "garage" manufactures with CNC machines here and may be even more there. I think you heard wrong on that one. One of my personal theories (different but the similar enough) died as well after one of those visits.

Fabio Elli says:

'MY FRIEND STEFANO WHO HAS DEVELOPED THESE SWEETIES DESERVES AS MUCH PUBLICITY AS POSSIBLE!!'

and includes this photo.

tools3.jpg

Clearly the origins of the Force tools, but they have changed some things in each as you can see including some geometry. Not sure of the relationship between this guy and Grivel but you can see the current design of the Force tools here under different branding:

http://www.aciessesaldature.com/saldature/saldature_speciali.asp?Lang=IT&Sez=Cli

It may be that Grivel brought him on board... Either way I do know that these tools feel way better to me than any of the e-climbs...

"To head this new department we have brought in a new face, Stefano Azzali a man devoted to climbing and climbing equipment, no stranger to high tech radical materials. Stefano’s work in this field of new technologies and avantgarde design qualifies him to lead “Grivel’s Racing Development”. (Grivel Reparto Corse) It’s almost second nature to a man coming from Modena, the home of design, engineering and above all “Speed”. We look forward to the future as we are proud of our past.."

Grivel website.

• 3 weeks later...
Pretty psychedelic. Have not climbed ice with any of these but have done some drytooling with the Force Carbons and they are pretty incredible for that at least. The curve being so high on the shaft means you can really grip high on the tool before it changes the direction of pull on the picks. The only beef with that tool is the lack of a good attachment point for even clipping to the harness. The little metal loop at the top deforms pretty quickly.

I've also climbed mixed (but no ice) with the force carbons - actually the same force carbon's as MattK - and I think they're the best dry-tooling tool I've ever used. Great geometery, very comfortable to hang onto in different hand positions, and very stable when moving to different positions on the shaft. I don't think I'd really enjoy them on ice - the pick is very beefy. The other tools in the line seem better suited for more all-around climbing, but the force carbon seems like a pretty dedicated dry-tooling instrument.

As matt says, the little metal tab at the top gets bashed up fast.

Hey G - our young friend discovered that you can get a pick for ice for the Carbon, but I agree it is pretty specific for mixed or maybe steep waterfalls. If I had the choice I'd probably go for the Force Alloy in any event, though the Carbons do feel pretty sweet. Not that I can chuck that sort of cash at them in any event. Even if the price is out of my range I like that they are pushing the envelope as far as design and material. Curious to feel the Avatar with the magnesium, looks like something from an Aliens movie...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just seen these in London. What a price on these puppies eh? As soon as I outgrow my Nomics I'll be sure to give them a go. Also considering the price something tells me if I was ever to be caught in a slide with these I would try and hold on to them as best I could. I'm not sure my travel insurance would believe what I paid for them.