Good Place to Practice?

jhiggy

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for you in understanding the importance of developing strong 'muscle memory' skills in this important alpine ability.

Don't hesitate to really practice the 'on your back, head downhill' techniques, particularily given that it's the least intuitive.

Not being an Oregonian, I can't speak to where the best areas on Hood might be. However slopes in the neighborhood of 30 to perhaps 45 degrees in angle are what you should be aiming for. The lack of a consolidated snowpack at present will be somewhat of an impediment to your self arrest goals for a bit yet.

Possibly check with Mt. Hood Mtn Guides, no question they have their practice areas well "sussed out" I only climbed Hood once, a ton of years ago, and then only on skiis.

Oregonians, help this person out, with some timely, accurate advice.

Really anywhere in those gullies right around Tline--You can find some slopes to do this that end in a flat large spaces just east of the 2nd parkinglot. I'd probably opt for that area vs going up into the steeper gullies, just to error on snowpack issues. Down lower you can go to white river canyon and just fool around near the sledding hills there.

Been wanting to take a friend out to go over this but really with the snow not packed at all, you can go through the motions but won't experience much more than going through the motions on a grassy slope or your couch in portland.

• 3 weeks later...

After May 15, Mt. Hood Meadows will be closed. Any of the bowls (1,2,3,4,5) to lookers' left of the Mt. Hood Express lift would make excellent practice sites.

Be aware of avy danger if new snow falls or in the afternoons when old snow warms up. All of these bowls will slide though 2 bowl not so much.

Also be aware that the gullies mentioned above at Tline are terrain traps and not a good place to be when avy danger exists. The big gully uphill from the climber's parking lot at Tline typically slides big time in May/June. I cringe every time I see people skinning up the BOTTOM of that gully.

Edited by pcg