Zekes Wall Bouldering Area Access Question

RokIzGud

Does anyone know the current access conditions for Zekes Wall bouldering area in Gold Bar? I have never been there and I heard that it is inaccessible (just lazy boulder’ers?)… I also heard that the road is washed out but a 45-60 minute road walk can get you there. Thanks in advance for any input!

…Also is there a map of the boulders published online anywhere? Thanks again!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I heard the road had been fully repaired but gated by the landowner...though something very well could have washed out in our recent rain. The WCC and Access Fund are looking into securing access to the road for climbers.

If the hike deters you there are lots of other great boulders in the Sky valley closer to the road...the river boulders, camp serene, the five star boulder, the tallus at the LTW and the various boulders in the forest below the diamond gully are all worth visits.

Central Washington Bouldering has instructions on finding all of these and problem descriptions for some of them but there is no online guide.

This subject has been discussed on other forums Link to ST discussion

Ownership in this area is complicated, and is divided between the State, several timber companies and at least one individual Link to Snohomish County iMap system and the area is inside the Reiter Foothills Recreation Plan Area Link to DNR While I certainly could be wrong, and I am not fully aware of the actions of the WCC, I know that all user groups will be clamoring for access. It will be difficult to allow boulderers to drive, while forcing hikers, fishermen, hunters, history buffs, mine aficionados and single track riders to walk or bicycle.

Washington State Parks has expressed interest in extending trails from Wallace Falls State Park along the old and existing logging roads into this area, but these plans are threatened by budgetary problems

The USFS is also happy with this situation. While the creation buffer zones around Wilderness areas is prohibited by law, some sort of defacto buffer to the Wild Sky makes some happy. Reestablishing the road to the Jumbo could increase the pressure for a proper trail to Lake Isabel, something the USFS is against, even though they allow planes to land on the lake

The walk is not onerous, and if one branches right fairly early, there is a nice trail which avoids the old road all the way to the Jumbo

In the last few years that area, known as the "Reiter Pit" to off road enthusiasts, had been inundated with all manner of off road vehicle who were driving all over the place. So the area is now completely closed to all vehicles.

The down side for boulderers is that you have to walk from reiter road, the up side is it is a lot quieter up there. I have not been up there is a while but all the off roaders made a lot of noise and made it kind of unpleasant up there. The solitude is well worth the walk, and the bouldering is good.