Hernia of the inguinal canal

Hello-

I was recently diagnosed ( but no imaging done yet), with a hernia of the inguinal canal ( located in the left front inside hip / pelvis area). I have no pain at all, but a subtle bulge of the area. I am also aware that it's there, and not just in the sense that I can see this rise in my skin upon laying down.

I have an appt with a general surgeon coming up with an exam, and I'm sure some imaging will need to be done.

I've also been going to PT to work on stabilizing my core for an SI joint instability. I have not been running, biking, or climbing since PT started either. I can continue to do the entry level exercises that I've been working on in PT, and the exercises do not bother my hernia, or that area. However, I can't advance in my exercises to challenge my core until this hernia ( or whatever it is) gets addressed.

Any experiences with this? I'd honestly like surgery to address this so that I can function at work fully and begin to resume physical activities once I am stronger.

Thanks for any beta!

Kellie

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When they repair one side, ask if they can do the other. I made that mistake and now I must have the other side done. Having it on one side means it could easily happen to the other. If it doesnt bother you theres no real danger. I've had the current one for over two years and now it is starting to get bothersome when hanging in a harness etc. so now I will have it worked on when I have my knee surgery. Fun stuff, good luck!

When they repair one side, ask if they can do the other. I made that mistake and now I have the other side done. Having it on one side means it could easily happen to the other. If it doesnt bother you theres no real danger. I've had the current one for over two years and now it is starting to get bothersome when hanging in a harness etc. so now I will have it worked on when I have my knee surgery. Fun stuff, good luck!

good thing you took up aid-climbing BEFORE life went and beat the shit out of you! :)

It is worth taking care of this. These can remain silent for long periods of time but you would not want to deal with one of the possible complications of a hernia... particularly if it occurred on a trip off in some remote area. That would be a situation -- called an incarcerated hernia -- in which part of your intestine slips down into the hernia sac and can't get back out. Incarcerated hernias can lead to "strangulated hernias" in which the blood flow to the intestine is cut off. That is not a good situation. It's not necessarily a likely scenario but if it occurs, it's not good. The hernia will not go away on its own and often gets bigger with age and lots of heavy lifting over time.

Depending on how the surgery is done, the recovery time does not have to be that long. If you choose to have it done laparoscopically (i.e., via instruments inserted through very small incisions, requires general anesthesia) there is an option whereby you can be back to physical activity within a week. An open procedure (single, larger skin incision) can be done under local anesthesia in some cases, but you'll be out of commission for a month afterwards with only a graded return to heavy activity after that.

So no hernia after all. The general surgeon did all of these tests on me and she can't really find anything. The subtle bulge over the left front side of my hip probably has something to do with the muscles or fascia being tight with my unstable SI joint and muscle imbalances. Hooray for me, but sorry for those that are dealing with this. Thanks for the info you have shared, but I still won't take Layton's advice this time to store my weed in there.

At least I can go back to PT now and work on more aggressive exercises!

• 1 month later...

I just had the surgery! its pretty fabulous, and they give you tons of drugs. Though my surgeon is saying like 4-6 weeks of NO climbing. Anyone out there thats had this surgery that can give me a climbers estimate of returning to easy climbing? Also any specific exercises that helped with recovery and prevention?

Thanks,

Drugged out Panther

The time frame for how long you'll need to lay off heavy activity and climbing depends on the particular technique your surgeon used to do the hernia repair. If they did a laparoscopic technique in which they entered the skin of your abdominal wall but never entered what is referred to as the peritoneal cavity, then you can usually be back to activity after a week of rest. If they did an open repair (bigger incision) or a type of repair in which they entered the peritoneal cavity then, in fact, a longer period of rest is necessary before one can get back to full activity. I suspect you had the latter given what your surgeon recommended in terms of rest time but you would have to ask them specifically to confirm this.

It would be a wise move to listen to their advice and dial things back for the recommended time period. Getting back to heavy activity too early can lead to breakdown/failure of the repair which will only lead to more problems down the line... which will keep you out of action even longer.

I second iluka's advice. Complications of sugery can really set you back, and usually more and more issues (such as infections) start to crop up. (I'm an RN on a post surgical unit).

Here is the problem with climbing as I see it: as you are healing you want to really listen to your body, gradually increasing activity and backing down as needed. Seems like climbing encourages more dynamic type movements that use your whole core and might be executed faster than your body's "stop" warning (pain). Might be a good idea to ease back in to leading so you don't feel forced to do certain moves.

I'm sure your surgeon is conservative, but why not. Sucks to be out just as the weather is getting better but as was said above this is the strategy for the best out come: more climbing. Starting earlier might gain you a few weeks but the risk is the rest of the year. Best thing is to HONESTLY listen to your body.

See you out there soon.

3rd the above advice... Take it EASY! I had a double hernia replaced shortly after having our first kid and ended up lifting the baby often. I still have issues now and it has been almost 8 years since I had the procedure done. My surgery was two large incisions and not scoped so your results may be better. I'm 95% recovered but doubt I will ever feel 100% since it has been so long.