[TR] Ruby - North Slopes 4/8/2011

JasonG

Trip: Ruby - North Slopes

Date: 4/8/2011

Trip Report:

Powder in April? With a good forecast and reports of prime skiing on north facing slopes, the gang laid plans for a trip to the north side of Ruby. NWAC was being a little pessimistic with their forecast, which I suppose if understandable given the recent accidents and activity, so we all agreed to take it easy and turn around if anything felt off.

We started on the Happy Creek trail, following it until skinnable snow was reached (~2800?). We followed the drainage up to about 3400' where we cut hard left with some tricky skinning to gain the NE ridge leading to the summit area. In hindsight, we could have gone straight up the gut, but it is a bit more avi exposed. Popping out on the ridge was pretty glorious, and while tired from the hard work of trailbreaking (thanks to Tim and Scott mostly), we could see the objective still quite a bit above us.

We didn't see any signs of recent natural instability, even on very steep and wind loaded terrain. To be safe® we stuck to the mellowest slopes and ribs we could, and all the while the snow seemed well bonded and right side up (at least the most recent layers).

It took us about 6.5 hours total to get to the top, and a couple hours back down, including a little extra time spent messing around after I BROKE MY SPLITBOARD. Major bummer, but at least I did it at the end of the good skiing. I was givin' 'er a bit too much and crashed at high speed, breaking the cores of both halves- yikes. I guess nine years is about the life of a splitboard that gets used a good bit. Some careful attention meant I could still use it somewhat, but it was really squirrelly. Oh well, here are some photos of a great day out in the North Cascades.

Tricky skinning to gain the ridge:

IMG_9077.JPG

Jack!

IMG_9084.JPG

Ruby, still a long way to go:

IMG_9090.JPG

There is some seriously fine ski terrain on the north side of Ruby, if only I was fitter:

IMG_9098.JPG

There is some pain involved, if the snow is good. Ugh.

IMG_9113.JPG

Logan and Buckner:

IMG_9122.JPG

Snowfield group:

IMG_9125.JPG

Tim dropping in

IMG_9136.JPG

Scott:

IMG_9169.JPG

Kit, enjoying the fruits of our labor:

IMG_9191.JPG

IMG_9203.JPG

Boot top powder in April for three thousand feet? Yep, we'll take that. We still have a long way to go down from where this photo was taken, even though it is a couple thousand feet below Ruby's summit. The ridge we ascended is visible above the skier.

IMG_9281.JPG

Gear Notes:

Any flotation other than snowshoes

Approach Notes:

After three summits and several attempts of Ruby by different ways, I can honestly say that Happy Creek is the happiest way.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the original NPS proposal for North Cascades National Park, a telepherique to the summit of Ruby was planned. Park's people were concerned that the masses couldn't really see any of the alpine splendor. We wouldn't want them to have to put their cervical spines into extension now would we!

Luckily cost was prohibitive. And perhaps more importantly the North Cascades Conservation Council lobbied long and hard to counter it.

A gondola or tram would have been bad, but it is not as if the summit has been completely spared. That radio repeater is an abomination, and certainly an annoying sight after all the work to haul yourself up there. I guess if I had my butt saved by a radio assisted park rescue I'd feel differently though . . ... .

I'll take the occasional NPS repeator versus the untold masses anytime. There is another one on McGregor Mountain's summit. There may be others, but I can't recall encountering them in thirty five years or so of climbing in the Park. Haven't been up on Copper Ridge, perhaps there's one there as well.

I think that there is one on easy instead of copper ridge? . . . .It seems like they could switch to sat phones at some point and remove the repeaters. I agree that they aren't too bad, but it seems like if technology allows, they should still be removed. Same thing with the snotel sites . . ..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...