2011 Bird closures

Alasdair

Hey folks I am currently trying to put together a complete list of bird closures for the spring season. I was hoping this thread could be made a sticky and I will update info on each closure as it becomes available. If anyone has info on current closures please let me know and I will update the thread.

Current closures:

Leavenworth:

Due to late spring birds are not likely nesting yet.

Snow creek birds did not nest on outerspace last year and may or may not this year. Time will tell.

Tieton:

Andy Fitz claims there are not closures posted here. I spoke with the bilogist from WDFW and he claims the closures are in effect. Please respect any closure signs. The biologist claims that the eagle closures are the same as the previous years. He also claimed that the signs are currently posted at the base of cliffs and birds are nesting now. Closure is likely to last through June.

Mt. Erie:

There are several walls closed, however the nest has not been located and it is not known if the birds have nested yet or not.

[img:left]http://cascadeclimbers.com/plab/uploads/385/viewer.png[/img]

China Bend:

After speaking with Andy Fitz apparently this area in not closed. It is managed by the NPS since it is in the national recreation area. The closure is being managed by the eastern Washington climbers.

Beacon Rock:

Can someone in the know please update this thread with the Beacon closure info?

Index:

There are nesting peregrines at Index. So far I do not know anyone who has come upon or even knows where the nest is. If you know could you update this thread?

Thanks,

Alasdair

Please contact me if you have any specific questions.

Edited by Alasdair

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Even though it isn't known if the birds are nesting yet (mainly due to a lack of funds for persistent monitoring efforts), the closure at Midnight and Noontime rocks did go into effect, as usual, on April 1. Closure posters were stapled up on April 5. If it turns out they fail to nest and the closure is lifted early word will go out through multiple venues, including this one.

mnight_noon_rocks_closure_small.JPG

Tieton:

Andy Fitz claims there are not closures posted here. I spoke with the bilogist from WDFW and he claims the closures are in effect. Please respect any closure signs. The biologist claims that the eagle closures are the same as the previous years. He also claimed that the signs are currently posted at the base of cliffs and birds are nesting now. Closure is likely to last through June.

I've confirmed directly with the WDFW's Oak Creek Wildlife Area manager that there is no closure in effect at either the Royal Columns or the Bend. And unlike past years, both cliffs have indeed been open all spring. The area was closed briefly in February until this year's nest site was confirmed. Since then, there's been a limited area closed directly around the nest site with no climbing areas affected. We should all hope that this approach is successful; it could signal more limited spring closures in coming years, assuming the nest site stays the same.

My closure information can be confirmed by calling the Oak Creek Wildlife Area office number and listening to a recording: (509) 653-2390.

• 1 month later...

The peregrines at Snow Creek Wall picked a really good spot this year, seems to be out of the way of anything popular to climb. If anyone does try an obscure route on the north end of the wall and encounters aggressive/defensive peregrine activity please let the USFS in Leavenworth know (509-548-2550). There are no climbing restrictions on the Snow Creek Wall at this time.

Here's a picture of the 2 chicks that are visible, we got a head count today of 3 but will follow up in another couple weeks to see if there are any more.

scw_pefa_060611.JPG

That just got me looking into it all again and now that I see what's available in even the last few months I think I could put together an pretty self-contained solar panel/battery/iPhone combo in a brick-sized package for couple of hundred bucks. Will have to prototype it and re-propose for next year.

Hi Ben,

I do, but posting a picture on a forum such as this also makes the info available to people with less than good intentions. If you have a question on what routes it is near so as to avoid conflict, I can answer that, preferably by PM.

Joseph: this is the first year I've found an eyrie low enough to see into. Usually we have to wait until they're big enough to start exercising their wings, or we count airborne birds after fledging and subtract 2 for adults. This is quite a treat!

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like the Midnight/Noontime (Leavenworth, WA) birds didn't nest this year, at least in this area. The seasonal closure for these two rocks has been lifted early, effective immediately.

At the Snow Creek Wall, two chicks fledged by mid-day on the 25th while the third was still at the eyrie. Be aware that the chicks are still weak flyers and you could encounter them anywhere along the wall, as well as their protective parents.

Photo of the 2 chicks that fledged. Based on size comparison to the adult female who came in to deliver food we think that these are males.

scw_pefa_062511.JPG

• 3 weeks later...