Lwt is right?

Dane

I strongly recommend energy gels as opposed to energy bars during and right after the race, and just as importantly hydration.

Digestion takes energy and blood flow, gels are essentially pre-digested, at least the physical form of them.

When I have a hard climb to do I will not eat anything after waking in the morning and a GU pack every 45 min or so during the climb. No solid foods at all until I'm done for the day. The new GU chomps or Clif shot blocks are even better not as messy. The GU products have the best energy to weight ratio.

I've noticed a 10 to 15 percent performance increase since using this method.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to pick what kind of climber you want to be. Uli Steck or Chris Sharma? In their home court, the other would be a weakling.

Not sure if I'd agree with that Mike. Ueli has climbed 5.14 as well as free climbed El Cap. I'd say he could play in the same league as Chris. Ueli believes that a modern day alpine climber should be able to climb at a hight level in each discipline, not just big icy mountains.

Chris on the other hand... Not sure he'd survive half the places Ueli goes.

I totally agree with Layton on "pick a goal". I notice that if I have a specific goal, my motivation to slog with a heavy pack and watch what I eat and drink goes up exponentially. When the time comes for that long anticipated climb, I think back on the conditioning slogs while I'm cruising and enjoy the climb all the more. A climbing buddy of mine says that half the battle is showing up...so agree that a lot of success is mental. Thanks for the thoughts you shared.

You have to pick what kind of climber you want to be. Uli Steck or Chris Sharma? In their home court, the other would be a weakling.

Not sure if I'd agree with that Mike. Ueli has climbed 5.14 as well as free climbed El Cap. I'd say he could play in the same league as Chris. Ueli believes that a modern day alpine climber should be able to climb at a hight level in each discipline, not just big icy mountains.

Chris on the other hand... Not sure he'd survive half the places Ueli goes.

you got me, i don't know ueli so I just assumed. dude is a monster