Overnight Parking at Alpental being restricted

Friedrich

Reposting this discussion happening over at the climber's board.

The Summit/Alpental ski operators are cracking down on overnight parking despite the fact that their uppper 2 lots sit on forest service land. This restricts access to popular trails like snow lake in winter, which are also on USFS land.

Not happy!

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1012362#Post1012362

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would be interesting to actually read their concession contract that allows them to tow cars. I bet they don't the right to but may be using language liberally to get what they want.

I have heard operators throw around their "concession rights" to bully non lift ticket people around. Lots of liberal use of the language. How about the power to enforce criminal charges with the new house bill about going anywhere technically "closed". This has the potential to get really ugly. We are not just talking about nailing some teenage snowboarder who ducks a rope. This bill gives the ski areas a huge amount of power.

Check my thread over in the climber's billboard.

Edited by Jens

Jens I am with you on this. The loss of public access to corporate interests always starts with these small incremental steps.

Does anyone know if the user permit in question is available online? or if not, how to file a FOIA request to get a copy?

Maybe someone knows the best person at the Access Fund to pass this along to. I think we have a few concerned citizens on this, but I certainly don't have the time to fight it myself (which is what they always count on, of course).

I highly suggest everyone read Jens' thread.

• 1 year later...

Officially the overnight parking lot ($15/night) is for lift-ticket-buying clients only, and you need to be in your vehicle overnight.

Unofficially there is a possible work-around. I happen to be camping on Saturday night as well, and just got off the phone with Alpental Guest Services.

I explained that my friend and I want to ski all day Sat & Sunday, and camp overnight in between, and need to buy an overnight parking pass.

The guy on the phone said "no problem, just walk into the guest-services area, tell them you need to buy an RV pass. It's $15/day with a 3-night maximum." I pointed out that we don't have an RV and won't be in the vehicle, and he said "no problem."

ProTip: When you go in to buy your pass, make sure you resemble a lift-skier more than an alpinist. Just to minimize nosy questions.

As far as I know, if you just leave your car overnight in one of the other lots, without a pass, it will get towed.

I ended up going to Rainier instead because I didn't want to deal with finding other parking and walking in. This is a real shame and makes it totally unreasonable for people to camp in this area during the winter.

Was this ever brought up with someone at the Access Fund or anything? I don't know how any of this stuff works, but people should be able to use the area.