Mountaineering Gear

kingfrankiv

Ok so I was going to try and name all that stuff I was thinking about buying to start climbing but instead I should just ask you guys what I should get and go from there. I have taken some courses and summitted a couple peaks but always have either rented or borrowed gear. So hear is a list of the things I have and still need any input would be great thanks

Things I have:

Trango 2 MW tent

NwAlpine Pants

Base layer

NF and pantagonia Jacket

Sleeping bag

Backpack

Things I need

1. boots 200-350 max

2. crampons

3.ice axe

4. Helmet

5. harness

If there is anything I am forgetting please let me know. Other than basic things like stove, socks, compass things along those lines. I backpack alot I just need to beef up some of my gear for some summit attempts thanks Frank

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

glacier rescue gear, ie: glacier/scrambling rope, carabiners, prussics, harness, slings, anchor stuff, ect.

Rain coat; windshirt or softshell; helmet; headlamp (small/light i.e BD Spot); summer climbing boots, 12-point steel clip or semi-auto crampons and you should be good.

Most brands these days are good, I like a light helmet like the Meteor 3, Saberteeth and the red Trangos are nice.

Two luxuries that I REALLY like having are a pair of light collapsible 3-section trekking poles and a bothy (not bivy) bag.

You can also add light canister stove and sub-1lb down hoody or 100g primaloft fill hoody to the list.

This is great list:

Edited by robpatterson5

I agree with Gene... what KIND of climbing?!@?!

I suggest:

1) Get a copy of Freedom of the Hills (descriptions on all types - gear lists and SKILLS you need)

2) Take a course, class, etc. OR start with a guided climb or guided climbs

3) RENT BEFORE YOU BUY

4) Realize that SKILLS are more important than GEAR SELECTION (yes, that from a gear hoarder like me...)