Waterproofing leather boots

medicsandy

ok...hoping everyone will weigh in on the best water proofing stuff for my climbing boots. I've got Lowa's and have never put anything on them. Have waded through pebble creek and quite a bit of other water with no problems at all. Getting ready for my Rainier climb and have been hearing that I should water proof before I go. Wax vs sprays????

Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ive heard full wax will more or less waterproof it but also make it non-breathable if gortex liner in there.

Do you have Lowa Mnt Experts? I use the nikiwax water based leather waterproofing stuff. just sort of a spongy stuff you wipe onto the leather. I do it a time or two a year, though really never have had water issues in the 2 years I've used my boots.

I currently have a pair of Lowa Mt Expert boots. I have had similar (nubuk/goretex) mountaineering boots forr the last several years. I swear by TECHTRON boot spray. It is squickly absorbed into the leather, and is incredibly water repellant. One big advantage is that is does not affect the appearance of the leather, it doesn't "goo it up", so the boot still breathes and looks like new.

http://www.rei.com/product/624530

Edited by robertjoy