Tumwater and Icicle Canyons closed

telemarker

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw it yesterday right after it happened. Right past the entrance to 8 mile CG i would say almost a quarter mile section of road is under 3 or 4 feet of debris. The one on 2 happened right near the trailhead to dildome/bear cave. I was changing my shoes to head up to bear cave and could actually hear the thing coming! sounded like thunder, for real. i jumped in my truck, tailgate and canopy still open wearing one shoe and floored it. drove maybe 300 feet, got out of my truck and not 2 seconds later WHAM!! It was like the canyon took a giant shit on the road. If i hadn't been fucking around at home and got there an hour earlier like i had planned i'm pretty sure i would have got the chop. Sadly, i have been putting in tons of work on the trail over the past week and i'm afraid to see what it looks like. i'll post as soon as i can drive there. i had slide film in my camera so photos might be awhile. Heading back up icicle right now

Drove back to the slide by 8 mile and surprisingly, no one is there except a couple of people making the walk home. Looks like it might be awhile with the DOT's priority being hwy 2 right now. Which is still closed as of 15 minutes ago. More debris than the tumwater slide... and less funding.

IMG_03231.JPG

IMG_03254.JPG

IMG_03271.JPG

IMG_03284.JPG

IMG_03292.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

I think iv'e seen it like this after memorial day weekend!

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_03331.JPG

Mud. I got curious and drove up there. The mud came down the drainage several hundred yards left of 8 mile buttress. I hiked up from xy cracks to about the middle of 1st tier of the buttress. I was standing on mud on a bank probably 60 feet above the raging creek. The mud had been thrown there from below. I was impressed. Large boulders and logs are deposited on the roadway, I don't figure it'll open anytime soon. Dave A.

looks like brad got pictures up while I was typing.

Edited by Dave A.

Wow! I think this is the first time i've ever felt bad for anyone lucky enough to own a cabin in the upper icicle.

Thanks for the pics and reports. I figure, If the road is just buried and not washed out they may be able to get it open this season...work on the bypass of the upper washout from a few years ago was scheduled to restart with snow melt and finish this october, though I'm not sure if the budget and equipment could be diverted?

I saw it yesterday right after it happened. Right past the entrance to 8 mile CG i would say almost a quarter mile section of road is under 3 or 4 feet of debris. The one on 2 happened right near the trailhead to dildome/bear cave. I was changing my shoes to head up to bear cave and could actually hear the thing coming! sounded like thunder, for real. i jumped in my truck, tailgate and canopy still open wearing one shoe and floored it. drove maybe 300 feet, got out of my truck and not 2 seconds later WHAM!! It was like the canyon took a giant shit on the road.

Holy mole - that's quite a story. Geologists dream about seeing one of these in action - preferably from a safer distance with a better view!

The road is a public, forest service road. I don't actually know but I would guess the residents don't pay. Just like I don't pay (directly) for the plow that pushes the snow from my street into my driveway. I'm guessing again, but I suspect the mess will be cleaned up with front end loaders and dump trucks and will take somewhat longer than just bulldozing it off the road. I suspect the longest delay will be the Forest Service coming up with the money. I hope I'm wrong.

chelan county maintains it to the snow creek parking lot. from there it is usfs road. if not for the landowners who became tired of snow machining their way to and from the lot, it would still be closed for the winter at snow creek. winter maintenance is done not by the usfs but by the rayfield construction company at, to my knowledge, residents' expense. as a condition, they have to plow parking at bridge creek.

dave a. is probably correct that they will end-haul the debris.

According to news release from Forest Service yesterday the barricades have been moved 1.8 mi. further up the road and the contractor is beginning work. Opening date unknown, will mostly depend on how much damage to road and culvert. This opens up quite a bit of the rock climbing. The road is open for pedestrian traffic past the barricades. Those heading for Colchuck or Eightmile will have about two road miles to walk to the bottom of Eightmile road. Inconvenient, but not much compared to the slog up Eightmile road. Dave A.

P.S. Rat- your post made me feel stupid. I've seen the road grader parked up there numerous times and knew it was private. Just didn't think.