ACL surgery rehab recommendations

I tore my MCL and ACL skiing last Friday, and am now facing surgery. :( I have the doctor picked out (I think), but am looking for thoughts on particularly good physical therapists, preferably on the Eastside. So, anyone have a PT they want to recommend? Or should I just be going with whoever my surgeon recommends?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of luck to you.

I got lucky having only two small tears in my MCL and a bad strain of the PCL and avoiding surgery.

I am in PT now 2 months after doing the damage and getting a lot better. I can actulally walk without a limp and minimal pain.

I feel for you because even my slight bit of damage was both painful and frustrating.

Again best of luck and here is to a speedy recovery!

Tyson

I am sorry to hear about your knee issue Marcin.

I injured myself in February and still waiting for my MRI (maybe will be done in June). Had my PT exam, xray, family doctor exam and orthopedic surgeon exams. PT said it's ACL but surgeon is not 100% sure how bad it is.

In Canada we wait long for free exam if we don't have money (about 850$) for next day private scan. Looks like I will have my exam in June.

Still limping and sometimes feel my knee will collapse under me. Sometimes is just fine but I still limp slightly. Not wearing brace since I am not doing any climbing yet but feel some pain.

I just hope it's not seriously bad. I am probably in some kind of denial and in June I will be hit hard with my results. I am so happy for you Tyson. It's good to hear you doing well.

I am very disappointed with my situation. I am scared to think I won't be able to go deeper into mountains to climb or ski.

Edited by Zoran

Had my ACL reconstructed in 2005. I was climbing within 7 months of the surgey. I actually feel like the reconstructed knee is my stronger now. The things I feel contribute to the awesome results are:

1. I went with a sports surgeon (the guy that fixes the AZ Cards knees). I think its important to have a surgeon that understands you want your knee back to 100% and quickly.

2. I took the option where they "harvest" a bit of your patella tendon and use it for your new ACL. My ACL was "obliterated" so my only other option was parts from a cadaver. My surgeon urged my to go with my own parts as the body tends to "accept" it (heal) quicker that way.

3. They are gonna give you this machine that you stick your leg in and the machine moves it constantly. I used that thing as much as I could. I slept in it.

4. I didn't allow myself to sit around. I stayed as active as I could on the crutches and in the brace.

I actually only went to physical therapy once.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery. Its definately worth it.

I tore my MCL and ACL skiing last Friday, and am now facing surgery. :( I have the doctor picked out (I think), but am looking for thoughts on particularly good physical therapists, preferably on the Eastside. So, anyone have a PT they want to recommend? Or should I just be going with whoever my surgeon recommends?

You sound like you are unsure about the doctor you have picked for surgery. If you have a little time, call the PT's that you know and ask them which doc is best for your injury. These are the poeple who see he fallout --listen to them.

Call Bruk Ballenger. He is here on 85th West of Aurara. He owns "Real Rehab" and they are the best PTs for athletes that you are going to find. Call right away so you don't commit to a doc you don't like. Trust me.