• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
bgratias

[TR] Little Tahoma - Fryingpan/Whitman Glacier 6/15/2009

Trip: Little Tahoma - Fryingpan/Whitman Glacier

Date: 6/15/2009

Trip Report:

My brother and I climbed Little Tahoma a couple of years ago. I can't say that it is a great climb, but it is in a terrific position. We left the trail head at around 8pm, and bivied at an awesome spot, right at the toe of the glacier, for the night. The approach would probably be nicer a little earlier in the season, because we ended up climbing through a bunch of loose boulders to get out of the valley. It didn't help that it was dark though. The next morning was basically a slog up through the notch to the climbers left of Little T, and a bit further around the base. Off the glacier, the route becomes loose volcanic rock. Not great climbing. We didn't have any rockfall issues though, and the weather and views were so good that we were having a great time! We used a rope for the summit ridge because of the loose rock, other parties probably wouldn't need one. Slings were the only things that offered protection, but they were pretty iffy. No need to rappel on the descent. A fun climb!

This is still my favorite bivy spot ever. Walls on three sides and a smooth sandy floor.

IMG_3066.JPG

Rainier and Little Tahoma that night. The route goes to the left of Little Tahoma through an obvious notch.

IMG_30821.JPG

Quality climbing!

IMG_3131.JPG

Adams

IMG_3120.JPG

From here, Little Tahoma is clearly taller than Rainier.

IMG_3132.JPG

Such a cool position, but such a stupid pose.

IMG_3157.JPG

Down climbing the summit ridge on impeccable rock.

IMG_3167.JPG

Climbers on the DC route.

IMG_3189_crop_.jpg

Gear Notes:

Red shorts and sunblock.