Spring Sierras

SLJ

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...at the risk of stating the obvious, it depends on what specifically you want to do. If, by chance, you're interested in alpine rock routes, here's a summary clipped from MountainProject.org:

"May-June: Approach to climbs may require taking crampons and ice-axe. Snow can provide a good highway there and back. May and June provide long daylight hours. Weather can be unstable with late arriving winter storms. Cold to cool."

That being said, I had great conditions there a couple of June's ago. But this year's snowpack is much larger than average year.

If you could clarify your potential routes and months, I suspect someone will chime in with some more helpful details.

I have spent several almost complete months of may in the Sierra and would agree with what you found there, Mr. Veld. It can be cold and unstable with late winter storms cycling through. I have also had some damn nice weather and it can be a good month in the Valley.