• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
petep

Accessory cord?

I want to make self rescue prussiks with 5-7mm cord. I like the soft, very flexible cord but don't know how to identify it by name. Is this a good prussik cord and can anyone reccomend a brand?

Pete

Sterling! Theirs makes the best autoblocks and prussiks, due to being so soft.

I get mine from Gear Express.

PMI is wildly stiff and makes miserable prussiks, not sure on BlueWater.

7 and 6mm will work for prussiks and you have the bonus of being able to use it as a rappel anchor if the need arises. Wouldn't want to rap off a 5mm cord.

I think most cords will soften up with use. You would prolly be fine buying whatever cord from your nearest climbing store. No need to get crazy with the brands for this.