[TR] Chili Dog Wall (Twin Sisters Area) - 5 Day Old Fish 3/26/2011

spacecadet

Trip: Chili Dog Wall (Twin Sisters Area) - 5 Day Old Fish

Date: 3/26/2011

Trip Report:

This is a little hidden gem we discovered back in '09 the first time climbed this we did the two routes on the right in the pic. I don't believe this has ever been climbed before (not easy to get to), but let me know if I'm wrong.

Chili_Dog_-_Route_Description.jpg

Matt and I set out Sat morning 5am and thought the logging road would be mostly snow...unfortunately for my sled, we ran about 3 miles of dry logging road before we finally hit snow and then only got a couple of miles of snow before the bush-wacking started.

00311.jpg

An arduous 4-1/2hr approach and we're at the base of probably the largest volume of ice I've ever seen in one small area. 2 years ago we did the two lines from right to left naming them Chili Dog and J.C.T.F. This time we worked the left side of the pillars. Amazing ice pillars all the way up, named this line 5 Day Old Fish (good stories behind the names...)

0254.jpg

There are many, many lines to be had here and this place deserves an overnight so we can stay and climb more, someday...

Got warm, slushy snow on the bush-wack back, but we made it out before dark, no injuries, no broken equipment, and had a beer at Blue Mountain Grill by 8pm. A great day!

0107.jpg0099.jpg0591.jpg5_Day_Old_Fish.jpg0291.jpg

Gear Notes:

60m twin ropes (full 60m to tree), 10 ice screws, anchor at small tree or v-thread top of pillar.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang really?

I googled blue mountain grill and it came up Oregon.

I would love to be wrong on this!

I think Berdinka also had an ice report from a few years back where he referenced ice a mere 17/18 miles from Bellingham.....Same same?

Now I really curious..

OP what do you say?

Let me be the first to put it out there:

I am a booger eater and I am (not for the first time nor likely the last) wrong.:crosseye:

If I could see out of both my eyes I would have recognized the tell tale rock of the Sisters area.

Cheers all.

Now if we can get the OP to give us details..........

• 2 weeks later...

Rosco - right you are, I found the old pic of when we first climbed it (4/20/08 not 2009). Next time we gotta get on the right side. Chilli_Dog_-_Route.JPG

It formed pretty similar both times, but we had much better snow for skiing out in '08...

btw... Just got back yesterday from Peru! MachuPicchu was awesome!