BREAKING NEWS: Hikers stuck in crevasse on Mt. Hood

scot'teryx

hey veggie boy? how did you get your nick- oh yea i forgot, you had to go to er and have a carrot pulled out of your ass? or was it a light bulb? the only detail i remember you claimed you fell on it!!!! oh wait - is it a little herring poking through the sfinkter now? [laf][laf][laf]

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by crazypolishbob:

this one is a human stupidity at its best.

This is so tired. There's been enough pointless trash talk and should-have's about this accident. You were not there. You don't know these people. Yes, it's suspicious that they couldn't arrest the fall. Leave it. Did you register here to fabricate this diatribe for us to enjoy? Do you hold up every climbing party at The Chute so that you can descend below the schrund w/o a team above you? If not, go practice some self-arrest with a few people falling on you, and see how you fair.

CPB, You sweet talkin' me? Dude, your tired, hard ass, Darwinism, B.S., I'm tough and everyone who dies isn't, survival of the fittest, I'm so cool, I can climb stuff and those guys couldn't, those guys shoulda, those guys shouldn'a, I call and ask other climber guys cause they know stuff, I post tuff stuff and nobody knows me, you guys are all gapers and I'm not, I'm blabbitty blabbitty, blabbitty, blabbbbbbby is only serving to end my Sunday on a [sleep][sleep][sleep]

hey veggieboy, you are [sleep][sleep][sleep] boring- sums it up. did you read or you need to go bacck to school again? the point of this whole thing was that people now have this notion that they can get rescued. look at the baker last week. the same thing. shit can happen and will happen. the problem is whaen it's easly preventable and causes more torment then necesary. and the fall out of the whole situation is that we'll have more regulation. after all the public doesn't want to cover costs of rescues like that. so the next thing we will have a $100 fee for climbing on rainier or hood or any other peak in washinton. so when you complain about it to you parner forking off another check payed to usfs or nps think about some stupid idiot who strated the whole thing.

Hey Polish dude, Robert from Bellingham, you weren't quite as unpleasant in person. What's up with the vitriol on-line? What the hell did those poor folks on Hood do to you? How long has it been since you practiced ice axe arrests while tangled up in three ropes and eight other bodies?

BTW, anybody want to open a betting pool on Agent Orangutan/stupidpolishsnob's new screenname?

unpleasent? well read already in oregonian and what has been written in the news so far. now the focus is on the costs! same thing happened few years back in denali np. do you enjoy paying $150 fee for climbing there? i can smell the same thing happening out of this situation. hood already had access issues and it will fuel this whole situation even more. do you enjoy climbing? do you enjoy mountains? well way i see you can kiss it off now. because in 6 mo to 1 year we will have registrations, permitts and some dude in green pants will be checking your equipment and qualilications on paper. how unpleasent is is now?

quote:

hey veggieboy, you are
[sleep][sleep][sleep]
boring- sums it up. did you read or you need to go bacck to school again? the point of this whole thing was that people now have this notion that they can get rescued. look at the baker last week. the same thing. shit can happen and will happen. the problem is whaen it's easly preventable and causes more torment then necesary. and the fall out of the whole situation is that we'll have more regulation. after all the public doesn't want to cover costs of rescues like that. so the next thing we will have a $100 fee for climbing on rainier or hood or any other peak in washinton. so when you complain about it to you parner forking off another check payed to usfs or nps think about some stupid idiot who strated the whole thing.

Not sure where you decided the point was no longer lives lost, but impending regulations on us because of this tragedgy, but I'll go with it. [big Grin]

People who aren't climbers will ALWAYS have an issue with funding with climbing accidents. The accidents most will have a problem with won't require negligence or recklessness, but simply the fact that these accidents occur in a setting where 90% of the general society never will tread will create the problem. That makes our defense that much tougher. Our fight is not amongst climbers who decide one is more eligible for rescue than another, rather our fight is with general society who does not value our passion like like we do.

[Cool]

quote:

Originally posted by Son of Caveman:

Heh PolishDog -- You're speakin' the truth brother. Problem is, everyone hates the Grim Reaper.

Man. I've read a ton of fuckin stupid statements here, but some stuff is posted here simply to show where people belong on the hierarchy.

TOOL

[Moon]

Crazy polished dick (er, head-Bob),

You are making a bad name for all of us honorable Polish people. If you ever had a point, it was lost in the flood of sewage spewing from your gob. If you had any intelligence you would know that after the study of the $210,000 rescue of the climbers in Denali Nat'l Park, investigators found that even in record years the cost of climber rescues reached a mere 2.9% of total rescue costs. Or that climber rescues per climber have dropped dramatically since 1994 after a permit system was set up, or that nine times as much money was spent on rescues for swimming and boating accidents than for climbing rescues. Like veggiebelay said, it's people who never climb who bitch about the cost. So I suggest you take some facts to the people who scream about climbers soaking the taxpayers for rescue money instead of flaming out all the people know better. Oh yeah, and go back to school and learn to argue with something other than your bile duct, troll.

quote:

As opposed to qualifying my statements, be bold; make something original. Do it! What do you think causes an incident like the one on Hood?

I don't speculate, I don't guess, and I don't pop off while the victim's bodies are still warm. You're absolutely right: more people going into the mountains will increase the number of incidents like this one. Hold the beer with your left hand, and with your right one pull the lever that lifts the footrest on your armchair.

Why climb in conditions where self arrest is such a low percentage. I read on this string of accounts where climbers claim to be climbing on ice where the axe does little to stop a fall. Why would you climb in these conditions, futher more, lead someone else into these conditions? I hope that people will learn from these experiences and go for it another day, when conditions are better.

Wow, can you imagine leading your 14yr old son into something like what happend on Hood?

hey joe,

first thing first. unless you grew up in poland you are not polish. you are an american with polish heritage. so just te get the record straight in that matter. second of all- i don't see you pointing these facts to the general public. i know the statistics. the problem is that i don't see general public paying fees for boating or hiking in denali np. yes if you look at the numbers climbing accidents aren't the biggest cost, but they get the most press. and if you look at the trend these days you'll see one thing. people using cell phones to call the rescue. saw it on baker, hood and rainier. so they consider a rescue an option. i am just pointing the obvious facts, which somehow no one is pointing (well marvin tried and every one jumped his case too).and to call it tragedy- i don't think so. every time i go climbing i consider the conequances. that's why i don't climb routes under the seracs. people who went out and climed - they should know the deal. you go - you might die.

you rope up- you use a belay system. that goes for ALL parties involved. hey if i saw i was under some scetchers i would be slamming a picket myself. tragedy is when you go on the street and you get hit by a drunk driver. if you go to the mountains and you die- it's a part of the territory. nobody was calling a death of kukuczka a tragedy in poland. everyone knew the deal.

and if you knew anything about poland you'd stop your pc crap and smack few people around so they stop doing stupid things.

oh yea!just read the latest entry to the s side of hood closure! it already started! I can just see registrations, peak fees and climbing rent-a cops just running around parking lot checking permits. and THEY don't wait for the funerals!

Perhaps the mountain is closed so that the Air Force and others can pick up all the pieces of the helo that crashed there. I think it's reasonable to allow for a little time to do that, to investigate the crash site, to show some respect for the people who died on the mountain. And like someone else said, Mt. Hood is due for a break from the swarms of climbers.

Cool down, Polish Bob, and be careful before you jump to unreasonable conclusions. I'll see you at the Fee Demo protest on the 15th, right?

Hey Polish asshole! I'm getting pretty sick of you referencing the incident on Baker when you don't know shit about it. Shut up until you actually know what happened. If you never actually know what happened, then just shut up. [Moon]

hey no- lame dick, do you think general public is going to investigate what happen there or are they just going to read the rag? who cares what the facts are- not the media.so why give the the fuel? general public doesn't care.

and about being an asshole. i guess it worked. big argument out of the whole thing. well sometimes you have to be an asshole to make a point. many years ago, when i started climbing i did couple of things that were stupid ( i was a real moron on one climb). Couple of my friends smacked me around for a good mesure and they were getting in my face for sure. i did not like it then, but i thanked them many times after- made me think twice. i don't belive in rescues, i belive in accident prevention. unlike mr. joe-want- to-be-polish i am not intending to be a hero. i'd rather be an asshole and make people think twice before venturing into some shit. cell phones are way too tampting option for people. they can be a help, but they also make people push things too far. with a femur fracture you'll bleed to death in 30 minutes. do you think a rescue will get there on time? i watched guided and unguided parties on snow/ice slopes, no pro, nothing and all roped up. i did not say anything, just kept my thoughts for myself thinking how stupid they were. accident like the one on hood was bound to happen. if you have people with these sharp pointy things attched to them above you, roped up and no pro- what's going to happen? well guess- if one falls, he/she will drag every one else down with them. the same thing happened to a guided party a couple of years ago- they all ended up in the hole. one went, did not self arrest, dragged the second client down and guide had no chance of stopping them both. they were lucky and i talked to the guide about it. and this is a guy who teaches self arrest every week for 4 months straight. when did you practice your self arrest last?

last march i had a "pleasure" of helping my partner after tib/fyb fracture, after he decked from roughly 30 ft. i took the first responder class a couple of years ago. and after 22 years of climbing for about 60 second i could not think what to do! well i am going to take another course, and maybe follow up with another. hey joe-want-to-be-polish- are you sure you know what to do? i've got news for you- being a hero is like drinking draino- leaves pretty bad taste in your mouth.

a couple of years ago i almost did get a chop on a route in canada. looking back- 3 very competent climbers, but we were cought in a first ascent frienzy. after the fact when we talked about it- the only reason we carried on with climbing was that none of us said a single thing. i wish my partnes would get in my face and tell me how it is. better that then the big snow slope roaring over your head. it was totally stupid of me to be there in the first place.

if you think i am an asshole- I DON"T CARE. think that, your right. at least i can sleep better at night- if i can make one person think twice, my job is done.

i think the real assholes are people who cause accidents (like the one on the hood). because what do you say to the fammilies of the victims- sorry dude- i guess i fucked up? i don't think thats going to cut it.

and about the closure. i know it is for investigation. but usfs was formulating a plan for hood for the last about 7 years. what do you thing is going to happen? just look at denali np. hikers and kayakers are rescued. somehow i don't see them paying a special hiking of kayaking fee? yea- climbing accidents cost only a fraction of the whole bill. they also take the first page in the news.

quote:

who cares what the facts are- not the media.so why give the the fuel? general public doesn't care.

That's bullshit. The general pubilic does care about what happened up there...(to some extent).

Why else would it have been publisized on National Radio?

Cell phones save lives, and make a rescuers job easier. To say that they make people push beyond their limits is total unfounded speculation.

I did't bother to read the rest of that crap.

Ok, so I read it, and now I am dumber for it. Thought I'd piont out the full circle here...

quote:

general public doesn't care...

...a bunch of bullshit...

...they also take the first page in the news.

Why do you not believe in "rescues?" Is it just you big ego telling you that you are above help from others...

Have you hever been in a situation where you needed a rescue? I'm sure if you were, your tone would change quickly. Or maybe you would refuse the help...yeah right [Roll Eyes]

hey lamboner- learn to read fucker. and watch less tv. same reason people watch car crashes and hockey fights. FUCKING ENTERTAINMENT, that's all. do you think they give a shit about what really happens to the gladiators? and one more thing- i just noticed that in a year you posted about 1500 posts on this site. that makes about 5 a day- when do you find your time to climb? let me on this secret fader!