Jason Wheeler - Cassin Ridge - PDX - Apr 26

caude

The Mazamas Expedition Committee and KAF Adventures are proud to present Jason Wheeler, and his story of the Cassin Ridge.

wheeler_poster.jpg

Situated on the South Face of Denali (20,320’), the Cassin Ridge is one of the most iconic and well-known climbs the world over. 11,000’ of sustained technical difficulties on one of the coldest and most committing faces in the Alaska Range, the Cassin Ridge is not only esthetically amazing, but the climbing, history of ascents and role in modern “alpine-style” climbing set it apart from any other route in the world.

The presentation will include in-depth looks at the history of the climb beginning with the 1961 ascent by the legendary Riccardo Cassin, to the progress of light and fast techniques by Mugs Stumps. Jason will talk candidly about his personal development as a Northwest climber, and what it feels like to climb over two vertical miles in 50 hours in Alaska. A look at the gear and techniques of climbing “light and fast”; and how you can apply it to Northwest mountains and ranges.

Jason Wheeler was born in Portland, Oregon and began climbing at age 12 with a successful summit of Mount Hood. He has not stopped living his life in the mountains since then; a professional mountain guide/instructor who has climbed and taught extensively in Alaska, Argentina, Chile, Peru and the Western United States with over 200 summits and countless days climbing Jason speaks with the knowledge and ease of a seasoned alpinist. Come discuss your next objective, past climbs or climbing technique and learn from someone who has been there.

A note from the Presenter: “In doing this presentation I hope, more than anything, to share the lessons that I have learned and pass on the hard-earned knowledge the mountains have given me. Come talk ideas, learn, share and be in the community of people that love the mountains!” – Jason Wheeler

Tickets are $10 advance purchase from the MMC or $15 at the door. All proceeds will benefit the Mazama Expedition Grants Fund.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...