[TR] Canada - Guinness, Guinness Stout, Murchison, Twisted 3/19/2011

pu

Trip: Canada - Guinness, Guinness Stout, Murchison, Twisted

Date: 3/19/2011

Trip Report:

Greatest Hits B side. Jason Baker aka Skatan and I headed to Canada to get some more ice done before I get distracted by warm spring rock climbs. Fortunately it has not been warm or dry in N Idaho so it was easy to go to Canada.

Day One. Guinness and Guinness Stout. Jason had never been on Guinness and I had never done Guinness Stout so it seemed like a good way to get rolling. Pitch 1 of Guinness is a little bony right now, but the rest is fat.

CIMG2129.JPG

Guinness Stout had a trail beat in which made the hike tolerable. We skirted the two short steps and just did the 35M upper curtain. It was pumpy. Jason finishes it up here.CIMG2143.JPG

Day Two. Murchison. The one that got away. I had some bad memories of my last attempt on Murchison plaguing me so I was pretty whiny on the approach. My previous attempt was foiled by shitty ice, postholing, and a wounded flask. This time was much different. Nice trail. Excellent ice, easy for the grade. Spectacular scenary finish. After soloing the first 40 M we were able to do this in a 70 M and 75 M pair of pitches.

CIMG2144.JPGMurchison1.JPG

Day Three. Twisted. It was formed up as a mostly ice line. Very little mixed climbing required. Photos don't do it justice. First pitch 30 M WI 3 to fixed belay. Our second pitch went up the ice for 50 M. Then a 40 M WI 4 finish. The second pitch was pretty bongy. Might not be around much longer.Twisted.JPG

Twisted is on the Left. Glan Managerie is on the right.

Tons of fun. Good Partner. Bring on Spring!!

Approach Notes:

Follow the trails.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great trip thought I'd throw in a few more pics.

Joe on Pitch 1 of Guinness & Guinness Stout

3-23-11_083.JPG

3-23-11_087.JPG

Had to throw in a color pic of Murchison

3-23-11_124.JPG

Twisted Joe is right pictures don't do it justice

3-23-11_134.JPG

Joe on the second pitch of twisted

3-23-11_130.JPG

3-23-11_131.JPG

If you still have the itch Canada has the cure

As always good times climbing with Joe