[TR] Roadtrippin - Bozeman and Devil's Tower 3/15/2011

Trip: Roadtrippin - Bozeman and Devil's Tower

Date: 3/15/2011

Trip Report:

Becky's spring break conveniently lined up with a WA to TN moving trip I made last week, and we figured the drive would break up nicely with various climbing stops along the way. The day after I flew into Seattle, Mark B. and I took our gear for a great hike up Mt. Snoqualmie. Crappy conditions, but great exercise and a chance to catch up with a friend.

Mark, drinking in the views

DSCN0289.JPG

A quick hike up the Mighty Tiger Mountain with some good friends on Sunday was followed by frantic packing. Our road trip then began in earnest last Monday morning. We stopped briefly at Frenchman Coulee, brushing up on our chimney technique and clipping some bolts.

Seven virgins and a mule

DSCN0299.JPG

The Feathers

DSCN0306.JPG

Then it was off Bozeman, MT where we climbed Tuesday in the main fork of Hyalite Canyon. Absolutely amazing place! We climbed 5 routes in the Genesis area, with The Hangover being the highlight. Can't say enough good things about this place!

G1

DSCN0352.JPG

Willow Gully

DSCN0366.JPG

Lower Green Sleeves

DSCN0414.JPG

The Hangover

DSCN04311.JPG

Faithful steed

DSCN0320.JPG

We were concerned it might be too early for the Devil's Tower, but seeing the splendid spire the following morning erased our doubts. Sporadic snowpatches dotted the base but the steep flanks were totally dry. The Durrance Route provided an excellent path to the surreal summit.

1st pitch Wiessner variation

DSCN0479.JPG

Durrance Crack

DSCN0495.JPG

Scrambling to the summit

DSCN05381.JPG

Success!

DSCN0529.JPG

We arrived in Tennessee two days later with lingering smiles and surprisingly scratch-less furniture. Big thanks to John Frieh for Bozeman beta, Eric Knoff for the ride from the Hyalite dam to the trailhead, and Becky for joinging me on this adventure!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun! I thought the Durrance Route had been closed due to the leaning column being unstable? I take it that's not true?

Climbed that route 17 years ago - I remember the leaning column ringing hollow.

Check out Obed in TN. And get over to Whitesides for some SE alpine-mentality climbing.