[TR] Mt Huntington - Nettle-Quirk 3/19/2011

John Frieh

Thanks all.

@Gene: I've heard the same thing and yes it was part of the reason why I timed this trip like I did. I've been watching the weather closely since Colin and Jed did it in 2007 and unfortunately windows like this dont occur every year from what I can tell. That said the person you should ask would be Mark Westman (and buy him a :brew: when you do!) He could give you the best comparison on late winter vs early spring

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't know the folks you give credit to, so I'll have to settle with drinking a few in theirs and your honor. Awesome trip (and pictures) John. And I agree with Layton about the impressiveness lying in the convergence of so many windows. wow.

Must... train... harder...

Train smarter. Not harder.

Building strength and endurance is dandy. Hell, it's an admirable objective and pastime in a society of the mostly indolent and obese. But it's EASY. The hard part is what comes next. The hard part is using one's acquired physical capabilities, testing to learn whether those skills are as meaningful or valuable as all the 'atta boy' gym patter pretends. And the really tough part is translating physical capability into equivalent mental horsepower and psychological growth. Nice muscles decorating a 4-bit CPU are (like) lipstick on a pig. And in my opinion, if, using whatever means, one develops his own multi-core processor, then the rest, i.e. the decoration or the physical capability will follow as a consequence. Every meaningful physical achievement that has occurred in or around a gym has originated in the mind. And it's the only muscle worth training.

:laf: fair enough. If and when you decide to refine it a little dont hesitate to solict me for some input... I love to talk programming :)

well shiete, you should make a program for cc.com wankers! You could be our resident physical trainer as Dane is our resident ice gear guru. How about a article about general programing for alpinist hardpeople wanna-be's?

maybe something like a x-fit WOD geared towards alpinists.

Edited by genepires

:laf: fair enough. If and when you decide to refine it a little dont hesitate to solict me for some input... I love to talk programming :)

well shiete, you should make a program for cc.com wankers! You could be our resident physical trainer as Dane is our resident ice gear guru. How about a article about general programing for alpinist hardpeople wanna-be's?

maybe something like a x-fit WOD geared towards alpinists.

I like it!

• 2 weeks later...
Grewas there any concern for lack of aclimation? I guess staying the previous night at 6,000 or 7,000 feet was probably good enough, eh?

Good question. Being PDX based the last few years I've been able to figure out locally (Hood, Rainier, Adams) that I can go up to 12k after sleeping at sea level with little affect. Above 12k I start noticing some altitude effects but nothing I can't deal with. I also know for my body if I get a night at ~5k before going higher I do (or at least feel) better and can go higher before I notice the same affects. So to answer your question when planning for this trip I knew a night in Talkeetna and a night in the Tok would be plenty for me.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...