Grocery Outlet Stories?

layton

I'm assuming a lot of folks on this site do, or have at one time in their dirtbag days, shopped at a grocery outlet (dent mart, food graveyard).

Any good stories? It's been years since I've shopped at the BGO or Deals Only.

Here are my highlights, leaving out of course the two year old expired cliff bars (bricks) and tastless shit

I bought a box of cereal full of dead spiders

I boiled some water and poured a box of macaroni in. The pasta dissolved in the water making a mucous soup

I bought a frozen bag of hamburgers. They shrank 75% on the grill and were all weird looking, tasting, and disgusting. I checked the ingredients: 100% beef hearts

I got an instant dinner (freeze dried something with rice) for a trip. 3 days out I opened it for dinner. It was full of cobwebs and dead maggots. I ate it.

Let's hear em!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the 1000 degree temps of the san juaqion valley in summer i threw up in the parking lot of a mexican grocery store after wandering around the aisles in hangover hell vainly searching for somethign i could make work for a multi-day trip in kings canyon - i seem to recall the vast buzzing in my skull came to a head and resulted in the Big Sprint while i was in the meat section, watching flies crawling all over the tripe and brains sitting out at room temp in buckets :rawk:

on the positive side, a few minutes afterwards a shiny quarter got me a plastic "homey" (collect the whole neighborhood!) in the form of hispanic pimp or priest, which of the two i never could figure.

We bought some cold cereal, and it had some kind of moth infestation that came to our pantry, and we had moths flying around our house for weeks. They infiltrated all the other powdered food we had, so everything had to go. they drill right thru the box and plastic into the inards and lay their eggs. it was downright gnarly and disgusting.

some fantastic aged wine deals there

Yes.

Some bad ones - but if you find a good bottle you can go score lots of it for a mighty good price.

I picked up a 2000 Bordeaux Wine there like 3 years back. It was in the 2 buck upchuck price range. Tasted fantastic. Went back and bought everything they had, 5 to 8 cases of the stuff. If anyone ever invites me over to your home to nosh, I'll haul one over, finally down to about my last case and now I'm starting to be careful on opening the bottles:-)

Another time, they had Haagan DAz something of cheese ice cream. I was calling it Fumunda cheeze. They had cases of it for $1. each. I filled up the freezer at home and at work. Took a long time to work through it, stuff was amazingly great tasting.

Another fantastic deal is sunscreen. Like a buck.

The trick is to buy a single thing and test it or to go with a sharp eyed Asian lady who is smarter than you and will tell you to put back the Chocolate cause it will taste like gasoline, or the expired drugs I always seem to toss in the cart:-)

PS, she told me to always pass on the perishables that are canned or bottled, like olive oil, etc etc.

Dirt-bagging through a recent couple years of college, life on a bicycle had me buying bread and beans at the Grocery Outlet most days. Premium whole wheat, 99 cents per loaf. Black beans, 59 cents per can. Added to that, purchased wherever, fresh produce and non-fat milk, and a few dollars a day kept the bicycle engine fueled to be faster than most. It was a good time, outdoors a lot, and I graduated for an RN license without any debts.

Grocery Outlet/Aurora :rawk: