Climbing with a prosthetic limb.

catbirdseat

I have a friend at the gym who is an amputee and new climber He has a prosthetic lower left leg. He told me that he works a shop building custom prostheses, so he can make anything he likes. Do you know anyone who has designs for climbing and/or tips and tricks for climbing harder with prosthetic limbs?

He out climbs me on bouldering routes where his arm strength comes into play but I can do better on slabs. I don't really know what to tell him on slab climbing.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe a tank tread attachment for slab work. or at least something like a stealth rubber snowshoe thing.

Wasn't hugh herr (spelling?) the man with 2 missing legs did all kinds of hard hard climbs. (like free city park) I think he was a prosthetic maker also. He was raised in new england but I don't know where he lives currently.

Gene is correct, Hugh Herr was a double, below the knee amputee. He also has a PhD from MIT in prostetics. Malcom Daly is onother one who would be good to talk too. Not sure how to get a hold of either of them, but I am sure some Googling would come up with something.