Tethers on Leashless Tools

CaleHoopes

Hey, I have a pair of Reactor Ice Tools. I love them (even though they are heavy) because I got them on clearance at Pro Mountain for a whole $199 (yep - 2 tools). So, I've been using em for 2 season and generally happy (they'll need sharpening for next year). However, I'm about to do something multi-pitch and I normally climb leashless (they are leashless tools after all).

So, what about "tethers" or "umbilical" style leashes for not dropping tools on multipitch stuff?

I'm considering either:

1 Spinner leash ($50 - a single two leash system with one loop for girth hitchin)

or

2 Slinger leashes (Cheaper at 2x$19.95 - seperate leashes)

In order to prevent droppage of the tools during a long route.

Thoughts? Flames? Spray? GO!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fairly happy with my homemade ones with thin webbing and bungies and metolius FS mini biners and a swivel) but they don't get used all that often. Dane's website had some more good info if you haven't looked at it. I might try reworking mine to be more like the Blue Ice with no biner attachment between the tethers and the tools as those are a tad annoying even with the mini biners. I like having a swivel though.

There are people here who do a heck of a lot more multi-pitch WI than I do though.

I've had several ask. If you are interested in a set of Boa leashes I am leaving Chamonix in a few days, back in the US mid April. I'll mail them when I get back to anyone that pays me for them now via Pay Pal.

26 Euro to my Pay Pal address:

rdburns@cnw.com

Hey Dane, quick question about the Boa leashes. From the pictures on their website it looks like the leash can be attached (securely?) to the tool without needing clip-in points/biners. Is this correct, so for instance, one could use these directly on a tool such as the orange Fusions without needing to hitch a cord around the handle or something like that?

Deal via Pal Pal is open for 24 more hrs from the time of this is post...you snooze you loose. Price includes mailing them to you in CONUS when I get home.

Julian, yes, they will girth hitch on most tools including the old Fusions.

I used them on a mixed climb this morning and really like them. Never moved my tie in point on umbilicals any way so I like getting rid of the "metal junk" all together.

Blue ice web site covers it better but this may help as well:

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/search?q=Boa+leashes

P1020071.JPG

P1020072.JPG

I like 'um a LOT!

195936_1885539253746_1099338977_32238024_821088_n.jpg

Blue Ice and Cold Thistle...how can you go wrong!

Yes, the block on the left is part the concrete foundation on the Midi. Which means a coffee is close by :)

199702_1885574854636_1099338977_32238076_1009355_n.jpg

Looks like a sweet design but I'm a little beffudled.

Because of the diameter of the sewn loops, it looks like you can't girth the BOA to both your harness and tools at the same time. Is that correct?

Anyway, I don't think you'd want to because that means you couldn't easily disconnect from your tools. Right?

...and assuming you girth the tools and use a biner for your harness, now the tools are linked together by the umbilical. That means you can't put one in the pack and move with the other unless you untie the hitch. Just seems a little slower than unclipping but probably NBD.

>Because of the diameter of the sewn loops, it looks like you can't girth the BOA to both your harness and tools at the same time.

Incorrect, it is easy to girth hitch harness and tools.

> don't think you'd want to because that means you couldn't easily disconnect from your tools.

Correct, but then I never pull my leashes while climbing...never have. YMMV, mine hasn't in several decades.

...and assuming you girth the tools and use a biner for your harness

Nope, not the way the Boa is designed. Three girth hitches, 2 tools and 1 harness.

>seems a little slower than unclipping

Ya think? If you plan on clipping and unclipping, for what ever reason, a Boa leash aint for you. As a "spring loaded" umbilical system I think it is a better mouse trap than the two competitor's models or I wouldn't be using them.

I like the simplicity. But they aren't for everyone.

I picked up a few extra pairs today that I will bring home. First come first served...

They are rated at 550 daN or 1236 lbf. Not amazing but enough I suspect. No one else saying theirs will better that number. BD is 2Kn/450# and Grivel is 200kg/400# all at the UIAA definition of "leash".

I have second thoughts about these units. I have learned a couple of weeks ago that an old friend of my almost lost his finger due to the tether. While taking a whipper the other tool popped and hit him in the finger almost severing it off. I don't know if it was isolated incident and just bad luck or are going to see more of such injuries.

I have second thoughts about these units. I have learned a couple of weeks ago that an old friend

Jaylo? Ya, shit happens when you fall off. Hard mixed on umbilicals...not the best idea any time. Broken, not lost btw.

Bet it hurt though :)

• 3 weeks later...
I picked up a few extra pairs today that I will bring home. First come first served...

They are rated at 550 daN or 1236 lbf. Not amazing but enough I suspect. No one else saying theirs will better that number. BD is 2Kn/450# and Grivel is 200kg/400# all at the UIAA definition of "leash".

Actually I ended up becoming their NA retailer...the only one, at least short term. If you want a pair of leashes or a cool pack, the are all here and ready to ship.

http://coldthistletools.blogspot.com/2011/04/blue-ice-gear.html

Ya caught that one, hu ;-)

Harness are one of the lightest on the market @ 170g. Proprietary Dyneema webbing. Cost is 60 Euro or appr. $85. plus the typical US shipping to you. Sweet ski and high mtn harness. Slick parachute style waist buckle and drop leg loops for easy on and off. Designed by the local (Cham/Courmayeur) ski guides for their own use and their clients, And I have them in stock.