boot question

keenwesh

I didn't get a blister but got many hot spots (probably just not broken in). However, my biggest problem was that the boot was pressing

Here is my observation from the boots I go through/use for what it is worth.

Modern synthetic and fabric boots don't break in with one exception (Scarpa Ultra). And that is a whole other conversation as to why and if it is a good thing. The Nepal Evo or boots that are similar like the Scarpa Mt Blanc do because they are "mostly" a traditional leather boot. But no where near the eventual fit and break in of say a leather Galibier Super Guide.

The only way to get the new technology boots to "break in" (read fit) if they have hot spots or don't fit your feet correctly is have a proper fitting done by a professional boot fitter with the knowledge and tools to accomplish the job.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then, I'm probably on my way since I went through a boot fitter (I met Zach and he had me see Rick) and I can likely write off those hot spots to a bad fit.

Good to know that there really isn't "break in" on those. I actually didn't think through my comment there ;)

Folks & Dane. I can now put my boot question to rest. After a fitting from Rick @ Sturtevant's in Bellevue, I can honestly state I have the most comfortable mixed use mountaineering/ice boots that I've ever owned.

The Baruntse with their moldable liner are fantastically warm, stiff in the right places for vertical ice, but flexible enough to endure 12 miles of vertical snowshoeing. Fantastic boots once you get the fit fixed.

The boots endured a full two days of snow in the cascades. The liners dried perfectly in my condensation boosting single wall tent. Not a single hot spot, no blisters, no pain (unlike the un-custom fitted version I tried two weeks ago).

Success! Thanks for everything, Dane!