[TR] alpine lakes - central park gully attempt 3/12/2011

kukuzka1

Trip: alpine lakes - central park gully attempt

Date: 3/12/2011

Trip Report:

Trip: nw face w satilite peak mt snoqualmi - central park gully gdII+ AI3+R A-2 JUST TRYING TO GET THE PRIZE FOR MARCH TR'S

Date: 2/23/2010

Trip Report:

in feb 1993 myself and steve wick climbed up to below the large cave on the upper 1/3 of the couloir. the 1st pitch climbs a 75+ ice/snice smear to a chockstone belay on the left or a tree belay up and right. then follow the corner[60-70degree] until the cave. above the cave is a straitforward 50 degree snow couloir. in 93 we bailed. on tuesday 2-23-10 i downclimbed and rapped to the base of the cave intent on rope soloing the crux pitch to finish it.it starts on the right side of the cave on near vertical rock[pro difficult]for 30 feet then mellows to 65 degrees with nice sticks.well i couldnt lead it so i top-ropped it and then rappled the rest of the couloir fixing some anchors on the way. the crux pitch still needs a proper lead, maybe when feeling stronger? it will be a bold lead. the climbing over-all is really good but protection is difficult to find, although the anchors are solid but you do have to search for them. I doubt it will become popular?. if anyones done it already let me know? m.preiss

Gear Notes:

1 60 meter rope two would be nice if rappeling but i did it w/one. 8-10 pins thin-1 inch full set nuts and tricams and a few cams.1-2 ice scews shorties?

Approach Notes:

same as new york gully, its the left most gully on the satilite peak with an obvious large cave. 4-5 pitches + 300 ft upper couloir

cp_gully.jpgcp_gully.jpg

Approach Notes:

same as nyg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:laf: Oh, there's a little of that going on, but the point is to get more climbing TR action going on here, so thanks for posting this. Wouldn't it be sweet if you won a prize and turned your attempt into a success? Better still if you get a partner to go back and get a complete ascent.

@kakuzka1 -

Hi there. I *think* this is a shot of the same route in current conditions. Can you confirm?

Thanks.

I took this wide shot and closeup of the cave as we passed by on our way to the Slot Couloir last weekend (see my TR)

CP_Gully_wide_shot.JPG

CP_Gully_Cave_Closeup.JPG

Closeup of cave.

Is this the same route as "Calvin Klimb"? I don't think so, but I'm posting replies to the author of the Calvin Klimb TR as well.

It's tricky trying to figure out what's what on the backside of Snoqualmie.