Crag.com down... Could it be?

bellemontagne

I'd say that's sort of a "them" problem... wouldn't you??? Now if cc.com went down, then there might be some trouble [big Grin] Crap, what would I do all day??? Hey, timmy, jon, you all better be safe guarding against that. NO GOING DOWN. Do you hear me??? [Wink][Wink][big Grin][big Grin]

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently SK isn't the only one that has gone down recently. The word according to Dan Carlson is that crag.com is no more. I know I am shedding a tear right now as I type... [Frown]

People wanting to post hate mail to Ryan Lawson or read DFA's words of wisdom will just have to go elsewhere.

So what is the word on WHY Crag.com is down? I have been wondering if the recent threads of hate and threats of violence made Dan question why he should maintain the site or if it was a financial thing.

I too will miss Crag.com, it was a good beta source if you managed to wade through the hacked out spray of those who still strugle with the concept of personal grooming.

I never really visited that site, sounds like the guy just got sick of running it.

Since it has been kinda brought up let me throw this out there and you can answer from the perspective of a user or imaging yourself in an admins shoes. It's obvious that there are users that value this little place more than just a place to screw off at work, so I'm wondering what people think of how and what means to keep a site like this going that is fair to everyone, taking into consideration that running a site like this requires time, mula, and some patience?

quote:

Originally posted by jon:

[QB

so I'm wondering what people think of how and what means to keep a site like this going that is fair to everyone, taking into consideration that running a site like this requires time, mula, and some patience?[/QB]

He's not asking us how we like the site. [Roll Eyes]

None of us really see it, but running this site carries a cost of time and money for Jon and Tim. Who would put up some of one or both to keep what happened to Crag.com from happening here? [Wazzup]

[ 05-15-2002, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: vegetablebelay ]

I've seen a few idea for funding etc tried out on other sites...user donations, sponsors, ads, etc. It seems that donations don't do the trick, just can't generate the dollars on a continual basis. Sponsors are tricky because they are not going to give something for nothing and the "something" they want back is exposure...and with this crew they might re-think that idea after the first hundred posts ripping them a new asshole for being corporate (yes, I'm guilty). Corporate/business donations in exchange for being a listed "patron" perhaps with the exposure component coming via a link on the main page to their company/product site might be an option.

I know you guys have a good provider, and big storage, traffic, etc...so I know it's gotta be some significant out of pocket for you, especially considering the software cost and your status as climbers, even if you have a "real" job. I'm rambling and don't seem to be saying much, so I'll cut it. My feeling is that a corporate donor program may be the most viable way to infuse some cash in exchange for a link. (read what you want into this, I still won't be supporting the mega-corporations, but take their money? yes I would)

Interesting that crag.com went down. A guy with some web space on a dsl connection could set that thing up in an afternoon with little hit on their bandwidth, and it wouldn't cost them anything (provided they keep their connection up). The outdated software made crag difficult to read anyway. All they needed was a copy of ultimatebb (what this site uses) or write their own stuff to improve that quickly. I'd almost be willing to write it myself if people wanted that forum back, I've got plenty of server space for that. Personally I found crag.com a pain in the ass to wade through all the juvenile crap to get to the good stuff. At least here, that stuff is largely confined to spray. What am I talking about, that stuff is everywhere here, but at least it's amusing. Apart from the photos of peoples' feces.

Jon brings up some interesting points, as does Will. One of our ongoing goals has been to keep this place ad-free, and i personally enjoy using a site that doesn't have pop ups, or little cars buzzing across the screen.

Anyhow, i really don't mind donating the time/$ to the site b/c i see alot of great things come out of it, and I'm constantly amused by things like imorris's freshiez .jpg. But I do think we need to have something in place to make sure the site stays up.

Keep the ideas coming...

I'll share a couple of ideas that came to mind agter reading through this thread. While I think that while Will's sentiments concering donations are largely correct, there are measures that can be taken to encourage them.

The first is recognition. While it'd be nice to think that everyone would donate just as much money regardless of whether or not they'd been recognized for it, that's rarely the case in practice. It'd be up to you guys to determine how to go about doing that, but one idea would be to recognize those who had kicked in a donation to keep the site going by simply changing their name on the "Who's Online" board to a different color. Not only will the donor's be recognized, but I imagine the folks who have paid up would direct some healthy spray to the heavy users who hadn't chipped in.

Another means of encouraging donations which might also enhance the feeling of community by users of this site is sharing some data about the costs you incur to run it and the quantity of dough you'd like to see come in to help offset them. Perhaps you could even list this data in a separate forum, and have something like a PBS Pledge Drive type display measuring the progress that the community was making towards covering the site's expenses. E.g. "We're 10% away from covering the cost of our server this quarter."

While some might object to these measures for a variety of reasons, I think that they'd only enhance the site because anyone who invests in this site will want to take care of it and see it thrive. And it would provide those who claim to value the site a chance to put their money where there mouth is.

Just a couple of ideas, and thanks again for keeping this site going in the meantime.

Just thinking out loud here but:

Maybe a fund raiser event on a semi-annual basis could work. For example: At the spring/fall rope-ups maybe you could find someone to donate a couple of kegs of homebrew or something and charge for cups. Typical college scheme that I'm sure we all have experience with.

Another idea is to have a slide show, perhaps in conjunction with the evil empire or something and use the proceeds to

1. Make a donation to something (Access Fund most likely, but I'd prefer something like the himalaya teachers charity..can't remember the name offhand) This would have the "feel good" draw on the yuppsters. You would get publicity via the evil empires' marketing forces.

2. Take the remainder of the proceeds and use them for CC.

I think that with the breadth of experience in this crew, something like that could easily be accomplished.