Apprentice Mountaineer

bill85

Hi all,

I've been following this site closely since I moved here about six months ago. I'm gradually getting into mountaineering. I've accumulated a fair amount of gear and make frequent trips to smaller peaks in the Olympics and cascades, ie Ellinor, Rose, Saint Helens, Mount Si, to acclimatize to the sport. I'm looking for an individual that doesn't mind having me along on some minor to moderate ascents. I'm in good condition and what I lack in skills and knowledge I make up for in sheer determination. I'm currently located in Olympia. I'd be happy to commute on the weekends to wherever is necessary. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bill, would love to help you out, but I don't have a lot of time for climbing lately (raising two kids). But, this site is a great resource. Good luck!

Couple of questions: How old are you? Are you more interested in mountaineering, or in alpine climbing? Do you know how to belay?

Cheers!

Rob, I'm more interested in mountaineering, but I'm open to anything. I'd really like to tackle a couple of the volcanoes this summer. I totally understand your time constraints. I'm 25 and don't have many obligations... yet. I'm actually going to a climbing gym tomorrow with an acquaintance to get more familiar with rope work. Thanks for the feedback!

Right on. Do you have any rope? You can practice a lot of stuff at home from a book. Learn the common knots forwards and backwards. Practice them while watching TV or something. Throw a rope over a tree branch and prusik up and down it. Practice rigging a z-pulley in your back-yard. Read about rope travel and crampon technique. Just geek out on the stuff. If you get a lot of that theoretical knowledge down, you'll have an advantage.

Bill,

I expect to be back in the hills pretty soon and I will need to get back on the horse gradually and will looking to do some easier routes to get started. If interested shoot me an email: bighurtbob AT hotmail DOT com

Dan

i am also pretty new to the sport, I have been "geeking" out on the sport for about a year now and I am looking for a partner to tackle some of the smaller mountains (and crags) as the weather gets nicer. shoot me an email, leydetd@gmail.com, if your interested in setting some stuff up

Im located out of Corvallis, but Im always visiting family up in Sandy. I have all my own gear and feel comfortable on the hill, but havent bagged many summits yet, just Adams, and another in Alaska. Ive attempted Hood several times, only to turn around for safety reasons

I do a lot of cragging near PDX and climb a few of the peaks.

Hood in a couple weeks

thielsen in August

St Helens April 9th

diamond pk this spring for some BC action

hit me up and we'll see if I am free

Rob has some great advice for ya. Also, pick up "freedom of the hills" if you haven't already

This topic always reminds me of when someone from Georgia decided he wanted to start mountaineering and some folks at work who were part of the mountaineers took him out up mt. si. The idiots loaded him up with 45lbs of gear and RAN up mt. SI and down.

Needless to say the new guy said, to hell with this, and quit, selling off his backpack and boots the next day.

Moral to the story, don't run the new guys into the ground, trying to impress them with how badass you are. Its supposed to be fun and enjoyable.

Likewise, I remember two guys I took out simple mountaineering from Ohio. One was in shape, the other was sorta, but carried a 60lb ill fitted pack and no matter what we said he wouldn't believe us and wouldn't get the crap out of his pack. We took him up Buck, Maude, 7 fingered jack etc in the area, all off trail. Very moderate stuff, but lots of elevation gain. He also slipped and fell crossing a meadow ripping his brand new pants 4 miles into the trip.

He was also expecting to go hiking, and not mountaineering. Not sure why he thought this as he bought an ice axe... The other guy was beaming his smile for all to see from ear to ear. No, we weren't moving fast at all. Longest day was 10-11 miles hiking back to the car off of liberty cap where both promptly dumped most of their crap out of their packs we told them at the start they would not want, dropping their packs about 10lbs each at which point we then headed back into the mountains after a little R&R around the campfire. Even the guy with the ill fitted heavy pack weighing 1/3 or more less now was a happy camper and beaming from ear to ear with a giant smile.

New mountaineers will never believe what you say. Take them on a short climb to prove them otherwise. They will quickly get rid of their crap out of their pack. Good weather helps as well =).

Edited by Wastral

Hey Tyler, Thanks for the reply. I plan on doing Adams this summer for sure. I'd be really interested in doing Hood, too. Maybe we can set something up. I don't really have any rope training so I'm trying to get that in before doing any decent ascents. Let me know.

Bill

Edited by bill85

Thanks for the perspective, Wastral. I understand what you mean. I've run across examples of that on this site. Guys from the Southeast wanting to come up and do Baker in April with no glacier travel experience and such. I, however, am seeking to up my skill set so that I can feel more comfortable doing some decent ascents this summer. By no means am I setting goals to climb Liberty Ridge or North Ridge of Baker. I'm just trying to pick some brains and learn some stuff while enjoying some time outofdoors. And I definitely employ the "light is right" doctrine to climbing/trekking. I appreciate you looking out for green horns like myself though.

If I wasn't sick all the time or wanting to go elsewhere when I am not sick, I would go to hood with you or say, the Adams Glacier route. Otherwise their "normal" routes are bland and boring IMO. I figure I can do said boring routes when I am 75 and decrepit. North Cascades/BC baby is what I find far more rewarding than any volcano. You can learn crevasse rescue without ever going on a glacier, just find a steep slope and practice. Practice Holding a slip as well and find out how hard(erm impossible) it is and how rediculous holding a slip on 45 degree stuff is. Best practice before ever getting on a glacier is actually going up mountains in spring/early summer that have very steep snow to learn balance, and avalanche danger before ever stepping foot on a glacier that now adds snow bridges that fail and holes you can fall into.

Edited by Wastral

Bill,

I live in Olympia when not travelling for business, I will be in town for the next few weeks and I am trying to get up to the easier routes in snoqualmie pass.

If the conditions line up and you can get away during a weekday or can meet up at the rock gym send a message, here or to chadleywjones@gmail.com

chad

Bill, you may check out The Mountaineers. Ive heard good things about the smaller clubs in the outlying areas(Oly/Tac/Kitsap). The process is a bit slower with them but if you are new to the area youd have the opportunity to meet a ton of people who are at or around your same level.

Alot of good advice here for you Bill, I like the last one best personally. Take the time to check out the local club for mountain schools. They usually provide great instruction and is a great way to meet like minded folks.

It can be a great way to learn the basics...

d

THe mountaineers will drive you fing crazy with their rules and process, but I agree, it iS a good way to learn the basics.

That said, you'd have to wait until next year, as this year's classes are already in progress. And if you spend all summer climbing with experienced partners, you'll be beyond the level of the basic course next year, anyway.

I actually went to the Mountaineers' first event this year and pondered joining but was turned off by all the fees and requirements. I thought I'd see if I could just rub elbows with some local climbers and learn as I go. I sort of regret not joining because of the easy opportunities to meet like minded individuals though.