Strobach Ice March 5th/6th 2011

Tod

Yes, there is still ice in Washington State. :lmao: JB and I went up to see what had formed in the last few weeks of cold weather (or never went away). As usual Strobach seems to hold the ice better/longer than anywhere ice in WA state (not including alpine LOL).

There was quite a bit of ice at the Motherlode area, though a lot of the tops were not fully formed, and some of the biggest flows were not quite touching down. There was snow on a lot of the ice so it was hard to judge how thick the ice was, but from what we climbed, it was thick and easily protected.

Approach: There is a good trail that we set from road 1202 that goes up road 611 to the ponds and up the clearings. The snow is DEEP otherwise.

Have at it! Though I'm guessing the warmer temps on the way mean ice season probably done at Strobach unless you get up there quick.

First on the Left:

We ended up climbing First on the Left, both pitches were solid thick ice, well protected. On the second pitch, we climbed the left flow as the right flow is directly under the avy chute and we watched an avalanche come down it prior to climbing. The left flow was phat, the right flow was thin though still climbable and mostly protectable.

Dropline:

Dropline was the biggest iceflow that touched down and had blue ice not covered by snow. We climbed this and v-threaded off just short of the top as the ice did not top out. Great climb, thick well protected ice, nice steps to rest on (though a little wet at times).

Other climbs:

Sudden Change of Plans: Looked to be in and well protected, though lots of snow.

Sad Ce'bu: Minimal to no ice (no ice after the cave)

Ice Dreams: In, though lot's of snow down low, and thin at top (probably not something to top out on right now).

Strobach A/B/C/D/Etc: Spicy! Some fat good ice up high, though not touching down. Potential overhung dry tooling to get hanging ice.

Primus Sucks(?): Looking at it from afar; is super fun looking right now, except it's about 10-15' shy of touching down. The lower approach pitch appears to be in.

IMG_6865.jpg

Dropline

IMG_6866.jpg

Sudden Change of Plans (left) and Sad Ce'bu (right)

Super thin and snowy looking compared to prime season (but Sudden Change of Plans is still climbable, ha!)

IMG_6867.jpg

First on the Left

Ice was surprisingly thick!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately I don't have any from this trip. I think I do from previous trips.

Are you looking for current pics? My partner may have got one this weekend, though I'm sure conditions are changing rapidly right now.

I'll see if my buddy got a pic. From what I remember, it touched down on the far right side of the pillar, thin and questionable as to well adhered to the wall. The left side next to the overhang also touched down, but was a overhung chandaliered column.

Nice trip yo, always stoked for the folks that do the work to get in there! Dropline is a great line! Sudden Change and Sad Ce'bu look pretty typical. The ice on Sad Ce'bu will be thick enough to lead the second pitch even though it looks thin from below.