1 million post milestone

jon

Hey Everyone,

We recently passed a pretty cool milestone here with 1 million posts. It's looking like we will pass the 20k registered members here in a few weeks. Please take a few minutes to read the rest of this message and find out the easy things you can do to help us.

While that many posts is extraordinary, it also causes problems. Our database for the forum is incredibly large. It takes an hour to backup, and hours to transfer. So that is time we are waiting around for that to happen. The photo directory is another story, it takes half a day to compress and half a day to transfer to safe storage.

Another interesting fact is about 42% of those posts are spray. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but by us allowing spray to be as free and popular as it has it's also made our job much harder when it comes to dealing with technically running cascadeclimbers.com.

For people who spend a lot of time in spray we ask, actually we challenge you, to do a few things that will help us out tremendously. We are committed to keeping spray around but please understand the burden it creates for us!

-If you spend a lot of time in spray please consider donating some money using our paypal link in the sidebar. We promise to you that money will go towards producing more cool articles like the Colin Haley Alpinism article, the Cam reviews, the Ice Climbing Intro, and the Backcountry skiing article. Two of those are in the final stages of being updated right now. If you have suggestions on new articles please let us know!

-If you can't make the donation please spend more time making trip reports and answering questions in the various forums to help keep the content quality here high.

A recent cool trend is that more people are posting links to their blogs, both with TRs and other info. Sharing that info is one of the points of this website. A huge thing everyone who has a blog or website could do is hook us up with some links back here. If you link to your site here in the form of a TR, in your profile, or whatever hook us up with a link back! Share the love! If you have questions on what kind of links help us the most contact me by PM.

Thanks again for making this site so great with awesome trip reports. We are working hard on some exciting things that we hope to share very soon!

Cheers, The Stuntaz.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to all; the Admins, the Mods and the interesting range of message Posters. This is such a cool thing to have. I've been around since way before something like this was even vaguely contemplated. It's worked out extraoredinarily well. I can't imagine life without it!

That's got to be a thankless job, and I imagine you guys run it on a shoestring.

It used to be a shoestring, literally a basic hosting plan for quite a long time, but those times are behind us. We are essentially on a dedicated box for just the webserver and then are on a shared high perfomance mysql server. I've got a separate VPS for the SOLR search service I'm about to implement (can you says lightening fast enterprise search?). We are contemplating moving all our static content to a CDN or a separate server running nginx, especially since our forum software doesn't use sprites and has a lot of dependencies (look in safari developer).

Probably TMI for most posters here.

BTW none of the above geekspeak or any of this would be possible without the support of the local businesses that have supported us for so many years. Make sure you let them know you appreciate them supporting us with some purchases.

I'm vaguely certain that there is some material in spray that's archive-worthy* but how much space could you save if you auto-deleted all the spray posts that's over a year old?

Think of all the electrons and pixels that could be freed up for the developing world to use to revolt if they weren't being taken up with preserving for antiquity 72 pages of "Bush is a tool" or 44 pages of giant housecatz or the Nodder oh my god.

*Such as Dan H0witt's predeliction for swallowing dog c0ck

I'm vaguely certain that there is some material in spray that's archive-worthy*

Me likey. Can we archive/delete irrelevent/obscure/outdated/retarded(...) political rant posts?

We are looking at our options for archiving and deleting spray threads. Due to the sheer volume of spray though it might be more algorithmic then subjective. We don't have to do anything right away though.

Thanks to the individuals who donated, we are already scheming how to use it.

A recent cool trend is that more people are posting links to their blogs, both with TRs and other info. Sharing that info is one of the points of this website. A huge thing everyone who has a blog or website could do is hook us up with some links back here. If you link to your site here in the form of a TR, in your profile, or whatever hook us up with a link back! Share the love! If you have questions on what kind of links help us the most contact me by PM.

I've noticed that older TR's with photos that are hosted elsewhere sometimes come up without their photos as those links break, accounts get closed, or other sorts of changes. I'd urge folks to host pictures for their TR's on the gallery here, its a more permanent storage solution, and amazingly, one with no limits on how many photos you upload.

I can imagine blog links expiring in the same way. Now, don't get me wrong, the links are awesome and I agree about the information sharing, but if you just copy your text to a TR here it will likely outlive your blog. I know it's more work, but you can just think of it as a backup.

Thanks to the admins for all the work they do, and to all the great folks who post and share their stories, pictures, knowledge, and opinions.

I'm vaguely certain that there is some material in spray that's archive-worthy* but how much space could you save if you auto-deleted all the spray posts that's over a year old?

Think of all the electrons and pixels that could be freed up for the developing world to use to revolt if they weren't being taken up with preserving for antiquity 72 pages of "Bush is a tool" or 44 pages of giant housecatz or the Nodder oh my god.

I agree - spray is great fun but forgettable. Let's delete everything more than a year old.

• 3 weeks later...

He's a billionaire on paper. It was a good investment by the CIA, though.

We just passed the 20k registered user mark. Maybe we should celebrate somehow? 10 years. 1 million posts. 20k registered users.

I'll add my vote to the spray deletion proposal . . .Thanks to Jon and Co for running a great site!!

When I look back on what has happened in the ten years since I registered, it's pretty weird: moved out of ghetto studio next to an I-5 on-ramp, bought house, got married, traveled some, had two kids . . . . and did some climbing here and there.

Good thing cc.com isn't as predictable as my trajectory!

• 2 weeks later...