Viper Tool Mod Question

cwired

Not looking to start a holy war about any controversial topics, so keeping my question on point. I have a pair of pre-07 vipers that i'm replacing the android leashes and adding the Viper Fang and Strike. I've never dropped a tool with the Android leashes, but I'd like to attach an umbilical - i've read that i'll need to drill a hole and use a wire..blah blah blah... has anyone done this? Anyone added a cable loop w/crimp? just looking for any info on how to do this. Thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I presume you're going leashless? Having leashes plus umbilicals is asking for a total clusterfuck. Just go leashless. And please don't use umbilicals on any 1-pitch or 2 pitch climbs with easy retreat options. It's not worth the hassle.

Anyway, that having been said... First step is take a good look at the Fangs and figure out where you can drill your hole. Put a 4mm hole in. Thread a short length of 4mm accessory cord and tie off with a double fishermans. Clip your umbilicals to said loop. That's it. (If you have access to a cable swager, I suppose you could go with cable to drill a smaller hole. Either way it doesn't make much of a difference.

Oh, and if you haven't bought the hardware yet, I have 2 fangs and 1 strike (with all mounting hardware) that I'll sell you for cheap. All you'll need is 1 more strike. PM me if you're interested.

I set my tools in a vice and started with a .125" bit to drill pilot holes through the plastic part of the "fang". Then went to .25" for drilling the final hole. I replaced this red cord with spectra as the utility cord was a little weak (200lb) for my taste.

IMG00049-20101211-1452_2_.jpg

Easier than I thought it would be.

John H - what do you use to keep from losing tools on one or two pitch routes? Just curious.

John H - what do you use to keep from losing tools on one or two pitch routes? Just curious.

Care and precision. I've been climbing fully leashless for 2 seasons... I figure I have 70-100 pitches climbed without leashes and I haven't dropped a tool yet. I once knocked one that was hanging in the ice, but quickly grabbed it even before it had started to fall. Regardless, I'm not entirely sure it would have actually popped out completely.

Even with Androids, whenever you place a screw (the time most likely to drop a tool) one tool is unleashed and hanging in the ice, so having leashes doesn't really do a whole lot for ice tool retention anyway.