Insulating Ice Ax Head to Keep Hands Warmer

Jeff W

On a particularly cold morning last fall the head of my Black Diamond Raven ice ax was so cold my hand became miserably cold carrying it. It did not help that I waited too long to put on my warmest gloves and I'm sure that contributed to the problem. With that said, can anyone suggest a method for applying an insulation layer to head? I though about using something like pipe wrap and covering it with electrician tape. I recently came across a new style ice ax that was designed with an insulating material but now I can't find it again. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

common technique on denali to wrap some foam around your axe head aroudn 11k and bind it w/ ducktape - makes the axe shit for anythign but easy walking, but tits for keeping your heads warm on everything else - any kind of foam will do, most especially your standard z-rest sort

the pipe insulation sounds like a better idea than a foam pad. Especially if you cut out the portion around the shaft, it should fit perfectly if you use the kind for 1/2 pipe or smaller. I think that pipe foam for 3/4" pipe would be too big.

Some tapes glue do not work in extreme cold and comes undone. Cheap duct tape and cheap electrician tape does not work well in the cold. I think most cloth tape work well in the cold and will offer a better grip also.

It did not help that I waited too long to put on my warmest gloves and I'm sure that contributed to the problem.

I think you are onto something here.

I wrapped my hiking poles with athletic tape about two years ago and it's still running strong. You'd be surprised at how burly that shit is. I only put on a single layer since I was only wanting to make them more grippy when I grabbed them below the handle but I'd imagine a couple three layers of athletic or "climbers" tape if you want to pay too much for it, would add a fair amount of insulation.

Of course if it's really cold out you should just put on your gloves sooner.

Posting this question to the ice climbers on the board might also generate a few more ideas. I'm sure Dane's got more than a few suggestions.

I think the Grivel Eagle is the only ice axe I can think of with a plastic grip area.

I actually find some insulation most useful for spring climbs where it's generaly too hot in the sun to want gloves but your ice axe gets cold in the snow.

My solution was a piece of bicycle tire innertube. I took a short (3 inches?) section and cut a round hole in the middle, then stretched it over the head so the shaft poked through the hole. It's held up for several years and makes it warmer to gram with or without gloves and doesn't interfere with grip any.

A lot of great suggestions that would be a quick fix when needed. I had to check out the Grivel Cappuccino latex rubber ice axe head cover recommended by Coldfinger. I pour through gear catalogs like a kid reading the Sears Christmas Wish Book and have never seen this gizmo; pretty cool idea and only about $16 bucks. I'll probably go old school with insulation and tape...