question for Women Climbers

medicsandy

Ok, now that I probably have every guy on here reading this one....it really is a question for most women and maybe a few guys. I'm having trouble finding a good climbing bra. Have been using the Patagonia sports bras for training, but not sold on them. They're comfortable, but here's the concern. When alpine climbing, they whick the sweat really good. Am concerned that when I stop for breaks, I'll get too chilled having something damp that close around my body. Just wondering what everyone else does. Thanks!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used the Patagonia sports bras, some from EMS, Champion and Moving Comfort. Pretty much all the same. They wick sweat fine, but when I stop I get chilled. The moving comfort bra works the best, in part because it doesn't fit all that well. It doesn't sit that close to my body.

I keep my breaks on the short side.

The best alpine "sports bra" I have ever used is actually a swimsuit top, because unlike "real" sports bras, it's actually made of quick-drying material and isn't lined with cotton, but it's about to give up the ghost. Not sure what I'm going to do when that happens.

When ice climbing I try if at all possible to strip down to skin and change once the approach is over; it makes all the difference in warmth/comfort for the rest of the day.

For alpine climbing in general, if you're not too big you could try just going without, in general when alpine climbing I'm wearing a couple of layers and a jacket and you'd have to be a hell of a lot bigger in the chest than me for anyone to notice whether you're wearing a bra or not under all that.

Since climbing is a low-impact sport (unless you fall), I don't feel that you really need a bomb-proof sports bra. I have a wool cami from Ibex that I use most of the time, it stays dry and if it does get wet, it's still warm since it's wool. On hotter climbs I have a light weight bra from Isis. I think the less material in the bra the better. And racer back is best b/c the straps will be out of the way from your pack straps.

ok....thanks for the replies! Would love to climb without one period....but need some support due to the fact that I bought a really nice set a few years ago (for some reason I thought Sabo might want to know that)! Went out hiking this past weekend and tried the cami option. Think that's the way to go. Love the french silk stuff....but it always just ends up on the bedroom floor!

Happy Climbing and why isn't there a "ladies room" over on this side of the mountain??

I have found Moving Comfort is the best option (and cheapest) for fuller-figured climbers. Patagonia doesn't have much support. I will usually take off the bra after approaches but sleep with it on the night before an early start, because putting on a sportsbra with some degree of modesty in the dark in a sleeping bag with -10 temps can be problematic.