Huge climbing falls

kevbone

rafe1234, you must be new around here. joseph is a member of the "greatest generation" of climbers. in his heyday everyone who climbed had bigger balls than they do today. something about purity of the aryan race having been polluted by interbreeding with mongrel sport climbers explains why things have gone downhill since the golden era of extreme toproping on the towering walls of illinois -- joseph will certainly chime in with a clarification of any details. in any event, joseph and his heroic comrades used to routinely take 100ft wingers off cliffs only 50ft tall, and as legend would have it, they eschewed the use of harness or swami belt and either merely clenched the rope between their teeth or cinched it around their prodigious nutsacks. must have been a crazy time for sure.
:lmao:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For 99% of climbers, 40+ footers are big whippers. Aside from some errant bravado attitude...

20 foot falls are big whippers for 99% of climbers.

...I'm quite sure this is the general concensus, even amongst high end climbers.

And you'd be wrong.

the golden era of extreme toproping on the towering walls of illinois -- joseph will certainly chime in with a clarification of any details.

You'd be amazed at the level of dirt dodging that goes on there. And yep, I could even point you to a couple of TRs I'd love to see you tie into. But you've got me - I have to admit, I'm always shaken to the core by the boldness of 99% of the climbers I meet these days.

P.S. Oh, and funny how most all of what's climbed in the Lake District is shorter than the rock in SoIll.

in any event, joseph and his heroic comrades used to routinely take 100ft wingers off cliffs only 50ft tall, and as legend would have it, they eschewed the use of harness or swami belt and either merely clenched the rope between their teeth or cinched it around their prodigious nutsacks. must have been a crazy time for sure.

A rope? They were lucky to have a rope. We used to have to knot shoe strings together and tie them around the enormous heads of our rigid cocks. Rope! Luxury!

[video:youtube]

Dude, Peter Mortimer and Hot Aches should get down to Beacon and stop filming guys like MacLeod taking normal falls and actually shoot some real whippers.

I watched this video of Katie Brown taking a massive whipp... oh wait, thats just a normal fall too.... someone should tell her to sack up and take some real falls.

that video is terrifying!!!

YEah it is...holy crap!

watching that shit gives me bad flashbacks - my version of that fall was at night, w/ the only light my headlamp fading into the distance and crampons and ice-tools striking sparks everywhere then receding too :rawk:

I watched this video of Katie Brown taking a massive whipp... oh wait, thats just a normal fall too.... someone should tell her to sack up and take some real falls.

That's a solid fall, and entirely clean, and at that level not that big a deal. If you aren't prepared to take repeated falls like that you shouldn't be on it. Like Potter, also on TS:

[video:youtube]

Yeah, long fall, but totally clean. He's not putting in much pro for exactly that reason, not worth the effort when the fall is that clean. Again, there is no shortage of routes that if you aren't prepared to fly on them you shouldn't be on them.

I'll take "not knowing the difference between the Lake District and Peak District" for $500, Alex.

I do, and I meant Lake District when I said it. You know the place with gems like this:

49_Raven%20Crag%20Walthwaite.jpg

384_clintsscar1LV.jpg

Nice, I suspect freeing Asgard would require logging some serious airtime and given their blog says they redpointed / headpointed some of the pitches after the initial ascent I would say they did. Hard to cover that much hard ground carrying and trying to plug a bunch of pro - when you have an ocean of clean air like that you might as well take advantage of it. As an aside, a couple of the later falls in the vid look like they had some weird rigging going on, but it's hard to tell with the shots being so short.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
rafe1234, you must be new around here. joseph is a member of the "greatest generation" of climbers. in his heyday everyone who climbed had bigger balls than they do today. something about purity of the aryan race having been polluted by interbreeding with mongrel sport climbers explains why things have gone downhill since the golden era of extreme toproping on the towering walls of illinois -- joseph will certainly chime in with a clarification of any details. in any event, joseph and his heroic comrades used to routinely take 100ft wingers off cliffs only 50ft tall, and as legend would have it, they eschewed the use of harness or swami belt and either merely clenched the rope between their teeth or cinched it around their prodigious nutsacks. must have been a crazy time for sure.

That is the funniest shit I've read in a long time. :lmao: