Avy Info above 7k'?

mhux

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't got much of a choice but to dig a pit above 7k and find out or yourself. But if you look at the most recent storm: it came in fairly warm (+/- 5deg of freezing) and dropped on a 2/3-week melt-freeze crust. So, the layers *should be* pretty well bonded, and I wouldn't think you'd have to worry about any persistent deep layers as the melt-freeze of the past month has probably left the pre-storm base pretty well sintered. There shouldn't be much avy worry on Hood this weekend, but digging a pit never hurt anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

On every climb/bc ski this is standard operating procedure for me as it should be for every climber, in my opinion. As for conditions yesterday:

Storm snow from two days ago compounded by a moderate warming has made for some interesting layers in the snow. Yesterday, we found the following @Timberline - Ski cuts on S and E slopes = no result (elev. 6000, slope ~30 degrees). Noticeable wind slab on all aspects. Pit at 5600' on SE slope had CTE 6 at 6cm Q3 PC, CTM 17 at 18cm Q1 SC, and CTH 27 at 35cm Q3 BRK. At time of observation: 1530hrs, cloudy skys, moderate winds from the west, light snow.

* Compression Test Easy (CTE) failed on tap of the wrist number 6, 6cm below the surface. Sheer quality (Q3) showed a fracture across the column which was compressed with subsequent loading steps

* Compression Test Medium (CTM) failed on tap 17 (elbow) at 18cm down. This was a Q1 fracture, showing sudden collapse (SC).

* Compression Test Hard (CTH) fractured at 27 (from the shoulder) at 35cm down. Low sheer quality (Q3)

Pit results from this morning.

CT M18 D 35cm Q1+

CT M19 D 115cm Q1+

two additional layers were below that about 10cm thick, the last of which was at pre 7 day storm cycle

2nd pit dug

CT M16 D 115 Q1+

Sketch Balls

elevation 5000

time 0630hrs

North aspect

Slope is protected from direct wind

It was all fists.

135cm of new snow over very rounded out and sintered base. (I found a sketchy bond on a layer about 10 to 15cm above the dirt two weeks ago)

natural release slabs spoted this am

I would only ski where controll is taking place.

Climbing without stability tests would be silly.

Edited by benb