Mount Saint Helens Conditions?

eldiente

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im going to go check out Mt Hoods south route early morning Sunday. Ill do some pits and my gut and see what the verdict is for a summit bid. Good luck and enjoy the digging. I hope you get a chance. Looks like clear skies Sunday.

Didn't mean to rain the avy news on your parade--seemed worth posting giving you asked about conditions since NWAC stopped regular reports. I do think they'll put another update tomorrow. I've felt this winter and spring has really sucked having generally safe avy conditions along with weather windows greater than 24hr..let alone on weekends.

maybe someone else can offer something up but I this is my take:

ski: resort

climb: rock

or do some hiking at lower elevations.

I thinK that's good advice. . .

Went up Saturday. About 40 people climbed, according to the register. Snow was soft, especially in the afternoon, we summited with snowshoes. If you stay on the regular route you avoid most of the avy terrain. We saw some shallow wet sloughs but not enough to make us turn around.

It was a good day. Left camp at 6am and slogged it up to the top. We were the first to summit a little after 1pm, and you are all welcome for the steps :) Not that they held up in the warming snow. We switched snow shoes for crampons at about 6500' but wish we hadnt. The route is fairly well protected and you can take ridges almost the whole way. We only saw some cornices tumble off, nothing else as far as slides.

• 2 weeks later...

The road is open to the Marble Mt Trailhead for any type of vehicle. Went up Monday and had about 100 yards max visibility the whole time. Didn't need crampons and it would have sucked without snowshoes. Glisading wasn't great either but nonetheless still a great time on Helens.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone planning on heading down this weekend?

I'm interested to know what the conditions are shaping up like as the weather is looking pretty bomber.

Avy conditions? I've only approached via climbers bivouac, so am unfamiliar with the other routes. How long has it been taking folks from the cars?

Edited by Frontpointing