is the monument closed?

ivan

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is closed. Ian Caldwell had posted this info on the smithrocks.com message board.

A pair of golden eagles ( male and female) have been spotted this year. The female is working the nests.

Last year the female failed to return to the Monument area.

I learned two years ago that one female eagle keeps up around a dozen nests in the park and adjacent BLM land. When she was not spotted last year, volunteers were concerned that she may have died. Hopefully the female that was spotted this year is the same one that was seen two years ago.

Yes, the Monument Area is closed. Signs have been posted. Here is the description of what is closed and what is open...

Closed until August 1, 2011.

A pair of golden eagles is nesting in the Little Three Fingered Jack area (near the Monument). Main hiking trails are still open.

Climbing routes, cliffs and gullies within 1100 feet of the nest are closed.

Please refer to 2010 “Rock Climbing Smith Rock State Park” Guide Book by Alan Watts. See pages 244-270. CLOSED routes are number 1-47, which includes Cajon Cliff, Victoria Tower, Little Three Fingered Jack, Puddy’s Tower, The Monument and Anglin’s Buttress.

Staender Ridge, French Tent Rock and Juniper Spire (The Product) remain OPEN at this time.

Picnic Lunch Wall and the Kiss of the Leepers areas are open at this time. We are watching for falcons and if found would lead to a closure. I have been at the Picnic Lunch Wall way too much this winter and have not seen any signs of falcons.

I have heard reports of sightings of falcons. Will have to wait and see. If you see falcons nesting or you get swooped while climbing please let me know either here or email me at iancaldwell@hotmail.com

Remember the protection of these birds is way more important than our climbing. We have a very good working relationship with the park staff and were able to open the Monument early last year since the eagles did not nest. We can also credit climbers for finding the falcon nest last year.

• 1 month later...