[TR] Bonanza Peak - W Peak and Company Glacier Ski 2/15/2011

Gaston

Trip: Bonanza Peak - W Peak and Company Glacier Ski

Date: 2/15/2011

Trip Report:

Last week I went with Jason Hummel to ski off the West Peak of Bonanza. We went in via Lake Chelan and Holden Village. In short, it was a blast. Jason will no doubt have a super-charged, photo-fantastic report up soon. I've got a trip report on my blog, as well: http://forestmcbrian.com/

Atop-W-Peak.jpg

Serac-Skiing.jpg

Approach Notes:

Caught the ferry at Fields Point and the Holden bus at Lucerne. A full travel day on either end of the trip.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Dan, that would have been cool. But I don't think that you can see Bonanza from any point on Lake Chelan. I guess I am being sort nitpicky--I get your drift, and yes, it was cool to begin and end the trip chucking skis onto the boat.

Edited by Gaston

I don't know if anyone has been up there before in winter. It's only about 100 feet shorter than the summit, but seems like a much easier climb. It certainly is the most obvious ski line, though not the only one.

We didn't need a snowmobile ride. Our itinerary was roughly as follows:

Monday--drive to Fields Point, get on boat. Get school bus up to Holden. Bivouac in the slums of West Holden

Tuesday--skin up to the pass above Holden Lake and camp.

Wednesday--top out and return to camp.

Thursday--Hang out, ski back to Holden. Eat tons of toast.

Friday--Get on the bus, get on the boat, drive home.

It's pretty mellow with five days. With only three days (the ferry only runs Mon-Wed-Fri in winter), it would be tight and perhaps not as fun.