Climbing and Advertising...

Uncle_Tricky

Scene: A hot day in the Utah desert. A young crewcut feller is free soloing up a free standing desert tower. He stems up a vertical chimney with parallel walls for many hundreds of feet, then moves onto the face. The face becomes steeply overhanging--perhaps 5.12 with loose rotten sandstone.

He dynos to a bucket. The hold breaks away, and falls into the void. His feet cut loose, but he manages to snag a quarter inch edge, just in time to avoid plunging to his death. Hanging by two fingers, his feet swinging wildly over empty space, he almost loses it. Concentrating his will, he gets his feet back on the steeply overhanging rotten sandstone, and continues on. Finally, he pulls a tough mantle onto the summit, sweat stinging his eyes.

A divine blue tornado of fire comes down from the heavens and envelops him. He emerges transformed: clad in military dress uniform, he's now one of The Few, The Proud, The Marines! That which did not kill him has made him stronger, prouder, and more noble.

He stares out, steely gaze hardened from facing death and wonders "why am I standing on top of a desert tower in the middle of July in a scratchy wool uniform?" And more pressingly, "how the fuck am I going to get down with no damn rope???"

-------

Ah, this is but one of the many current advertisements running with climbing as the theme. Others include Old Spice Xtreem Sport Deodorant (make sure you're smelling sweet for those climbing betties on long alpine ascents!) And of course the Ford "No Boundries" commercial featuring some grizzled old guys on a big wall, shouting back and forth, wondering who brought the caribiners. Hanging below their portaledge is a tricked out SUV. I'm sure I'm missing others...

So my question is, are we climbers just so xtremely kewl that we move produkt, or is this a clear sign of the impending apocalypse?

[laf]

[ 04-28-2002, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Uncle Tricky ]

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Uncle Tricky:

"how the fuck am I going to get down with no damn rope???"

Ropes? you're ignorant. You call in the cavalry direct with the HH-60 to pluck you out of utah, do a few laps around the midwest to keep the taxpayers busy and enjoy a beer back at gitmo while you're kicking some tailban ass in the steel cages at x-ray (or whatever they call it now...enduring freedom? infinite justice? or is it some other cheesy superlative now?)

Smoke 'em out! [Roll Eyes]

-Iain

The corporate ad machine is only getting worse in its use of us climber folk to promote and sell their products.

Emotion sells product, and everyone wants to feel like we do - only they don't want to get off their duff to do it! So, they are able to live vicariously through us by buying shit that none of us really use.

By the way, does anyone know where I can get an Old Spice sticker for my vehicle?

isn't that grizzled old guy on the portaledge Hans Florine or something?

last year on the BD site you could fill out a questionnaire and they CLAIMED they would send you free stickers. I spent many precious moments deciding whether I felt oval carabiners are 5:Extremely Useful, 4: Moderately Useful, 3:Useful, 4:Not Useful, 5:Pointless and Irrelevant. Did I receive a sticker pack in return for my honest and well considered thoughts? ... No I did not. icon13.gif