Cascades Coffee Table Book Suggestions?

Jim

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one: Bob Kandiko's North Cascades Traverses! http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/1485261/86152bae2d034fbb485997fd4e7c5f63#author-bookshelf

here's a few more:

Ira Spring, High World of the Mountain Climber (I got mine at Powells in Portland, might be hard to find)

Jim Martin: LINK

Edited by goatboy

The title of the book listed above from blurb.com is North Cascades Traverses by Bob Kandiko. I ordered mine last week and it arrived in 3 or 4 days. The book is fantastic, highly recommended. Dave A.

P.S. I suspect a lot of people will be using this for a ticklist. All the routes look great.

Holy cow, I need to get a copy of Bob's book! He showed me copy #1 last year and had no idea that it was for sale. It was stunning to say the least, and an impressive effort for someone working on it nights and weekends. I will be buying a hardbound copy ASAP . . ..

Absolutely agree- Soul of the heights is probably my favorite photo book. High Rocks and Ice by Ira Spring is another excellent book of Cascades photos.Tom Millers 1964 The North Cascades covers the Ptarmigan Traverse and is the inspiration for Bob Kandikos book.Chessler books has several copies available for under $100 (used, of course). I'm sure that would be a cherished gift for any Wash. climber.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - I thought I would close the loop here. I ordered this: Bob Kandiko's North Cascades Traverses! http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/1485261/86152bae2d034fbb485997fd4e7c5f63#author-bookshelf

In short - it's disappointing. While the photos look crisp online the printed version is not - surprisingly fuzzy and poor color tones. The choice of fonts and backgrounds for the narrative is odd and difficult to read - the maps are not sharp either. Good idea - poor quality product.

I've completed projects in desktop publishing that look much better than this effort. I would not recomend the book.

• 2 weeks later...

North Cascades Crest by James Martin really is beautiful. Other posts had the author's name as Jim Martin and Jim Nelson - but his name is actually James Martin - I have the book in front of me right now. I know you ordered one but maybe you could return it and try again.

Edited by alpenlady

North Cascades Crest by James Martin really is beautiful. Other posts had the author's name as Jim Martin and Jim Nelson - but his name is actually James Martin - I have the book in front of me right now. I know you ordered one but maybe you could return it and try again.

I second this. This is a great book.

1570611408.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg