Fitting a down jacket

stever

I have a question about fitting down jackets/parkas. It may be obvious, but I have never owned a down jacket and I am curious how tight they should fit.

I realize it shouldnt be too tight so that the down compresses, but it also shouldn't be too loose that your body heat can easily escape.

For example, I recently acquired a Feathered Friends Volant jacket. It is size large and when I zip it up, it is snug around my torso, and the sleeve lengths are fine. I assume this is a good fit, provided it's not snug enough to compress the down. I was wearing a R1 hoody and I think it may be even more snug once I put on a shell and another insul. layer.

Furthermore, I tried on a Montbell Alpine light down parka in an XL. In my experience with montbell, they are a size small. (I own a large thermawrap and it fits like a medium). It is a bit long in the sleeves, and when zipped up, I feel like there is a bit of space between the inner layer of the jacket and my body. This space would probably be taken up once I put a layer or two more on (I was only wearing a base layer).

What I am trying to ask is, when fitting a down jacket to go over top of everything, do you size it for extra space (like how the montbell feels?) or do you size it so it is snug (like how the volant feels)? I have a synthetic belay parka similar to the Pat. DAS and it is sized a bit big, but it also has an adjustable waist so I can snug it up.

thanks for the help!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Synthetic jackets work better than down as over-everything style if you are hoping to dry out the stuff underneath. Down will keep you warm for a while but if what's closer to your core is wet you can get the down wet from moisture moving out from the wet clothes under the down.

On the other hand, primaloft etc. stays warm when wet.

So depending on what conditions you plan to use it for, you might want to size a down jacket a bit tighter than a syntho jacket.

At the two extremes - I have a generously sized synthetic jacket I can throw on over top of everything else I'm wearing even if I'm soaked, and a pretty trim-fitting down sweater that I usually wear just over a baselayer and can fit a shell over top of...

At the two extremes - I have a generously sized synthetic jacket I can throw on over top of everything else I'm wearing even if I'm soaked, and a pretty trim-fitting down sweater that I usually wear just over a baselayer and can fit a shell over top of...

Good comment.

A note on sizing. I spent some time trying on Patagonia gear yesterday. As an example for sizing. Patagonia mail order told me that the nano puff Jacket, nano puff Pullover and several other "alpine specific" garments they offered were the "same size".

Not even close to being true. In Patagonia's sizing I can wear a Lg or an XL or sometimes neither of those sizes. Nano Puffs are a classic example. Pull over is a great fit, the zip fronts...no chance in either size. YMMV of course.

But a good example of why you really want to try this stuff on before you buy or at least make sure they have a 100% satisfaction return policy with zero hassles.

Montbell sizing is based on the Asian market and is upsized for North America. In many cases, still, it isn't quite enough.

I'm happy that my down jacket is sized perfectly to fit over what I wear on approach, because that's how I use it, especially when ski touring. When you hop up to the Frontpoint, that model gives you a bit more room.

I have a Millet synthetic belay jacket that fits over everything when I'm climbing.

Fit is quite different for each manufacturer for sure; they all use different fit models to base their sizes off of. Pullovers are generally more roomy through the torso because they have to fit over the shoulders and head; jackets are generally more slender because they don't have to.

Edited by Figger_Eight

thanks for the help everyone. I will keep trying my layer systems and see what fits best. I know the pros/cons of down vs synthetic, I just was unsure about the amount of room the down jackets need. Makes sense now though.

Dane: thanks for the blog link, I will check that out tonight.

Hi, It should not be too snug around the torso because it will feel somewhat restrictive if you start being active with your hands (climbing, camp duties). Also, some jackets are cut extremely short, yes, good if you are wearing and using a climbing harness but bad for warmth when you are not and they ride up above your waist easily. Example, Montbell jackets are cut EXTREMELY short in the order of about 26.75" back length in size L and XL (measured). I like longer jackets/parkas with a double zipper to solve the harness issue but still get warmth lower down my body.

Here are some examples:

I am 6-2 190lb

Basic setup: Patagonia Capilene 1, Marmot Powerstretch Fleece size L, First Ascent Frontpoint Jacket size L long, CAMP Helmet, Mountain Hardwear Navigation size L (softshell) Pants

afac6ea128.jpg

First Ascent Igniter size L regular:

fc6a64d3bb.jpg

Mountain Hardwear Sub Zero Jacket size L: (no hood, a tad short for my taste)

ea085a4d83.jpg

Outdoor Research Superplume Parka size L:

635fcd74fb.jpg