Man arrested for Skiing Uphill

G-spotter

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/article.php?art_id=6974

eputies were transported to Roland Fleck’s location at the NASTAR course under the Casper Lift in a toboggan, Terry said. They told Fleck skiing uphill was a violation of Wyoming law and that it is considered unsafe, he said.

They asked him to meet them at the base of the mountain so they could issue him a citation, but he refused to cooperate, Terry said.

Deputies arrested Fleck and used two sets of handcuffs linked together behind his back to restrict his arms, Terry said. They sat him in a toboggan with a deputy as ski patrollers sledded him down the mountain, Terry said.

Fleck spent about seven hours in the Teton County Jail, an arrest summary report shows.

Fleck is 78

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's motivating to hear about old guys still getting after it but, skinning lift accessed terrain is silly and negligent no matter who or how old you are. I work at a ski resort and had an encounter with a belligerent skinner (I too skin but in appropriate areas or at night :)) sliding up our most popular run on a busy day creating a severe objective hazard for guests and a dangerous situation for himself. There would be HUGE liability issues for resorts if they allowed it. That's my two cents.

It's motivating to hear about old guys still getting after it but, skinning lift accessed terrain is silly and negligent no matter who or how old you are. I work at a ski resort and had an encounter with a belligerent skinner (I too skin but in appropriate areas or at night :)) sliding up our most popular run on a busy day creating a severe objective hazard for guests and a dangerous situation for himself. There would be HUGE liability issues for resorts if they allowed it. That's my two cents.

Dude. He was skinning uphill on a cat track. silly and negligent? Psssh

Roland Fleck was skiing uphill, or skinning, on a cat track, Dan Fleck said. Snow King Resort permits skiers to move uphill on a cat track, he said, and the activity is not considered unsafe.

Edited by rob

I'd be afraid to skin up a cat-track, but that may have to do with how difficult it is to ski well a cat track at high speed (often hard and narrow) and the 2 members of my family who suffered serious bone breaks by out of control skiers in the last 20 years.