[TR] Shukhorn - NW Culee & Undisclosed location 2/10/2011

danhelmstadter

Trip: Shukhorn - NW Culee & Undisclosed location

Date: 2/9-10/2011

Trip Report:

With thoughts of Monika and her friends and family, I had a couple memorable dayz of touring up on the mighty norwand of the Shukhorn.

First day I went up to ski the "undisclosed loaction" it's a pretty route, the lower two thirds were ripper dreamlike powder (except for a spot of raincrust) while the upper third of the route held 60 degree water ice bulges and 50dg+ slopes of thickraincrust with a skiff of pow on top. I climbed to the top, used good judgement and climbed down to where the pow was fat. Here's a video, it turned out to be pretty good, with the last bit starting around 1:15 in being the best.

[video:youtube]

The second day I met up with Mike at the White Salmon lodge and we headed down to the valley together, we skinned up the glacier and parted ways at the top (as planned), he later reported wind affected snow on the glacier. Clouds were rolling in, and a fluctuating lenticular capped the summit. I dropped into the NW couloir and found mostly great snow except for the very lower portion which was manked up in various ways.

selected clips from nw culee descent

[video:youtube]

somewheres in "Undisclosed Location"

2991913240103935217S500x500Q85.jpg

me at the top of the white salmon

2267217910103935217S500x500Q85.jpg

the mighty shukhorn

2392793770103935217S425x425Q85.jpg

Edited by danhelmstadter

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply