Driving Canada

ZimZam

In a few weeks I will be entering Canada through MT on my way to Alaska. Calgary, Edmonton, Ft. Nelson, Whitehorse then entering at Tok. What can I expect driving that far North in the middle of March weather wise? Are petrol stations few and far between in the upper reaches of BC and the Yukon? How much more expensive is fuel vs. the US? In these outer regions are the roads tarmac or just graded? Finally based on the time of year would it be better to drive to Blaine and then up BC? I am coming from Nederland, CO. Oh I'll be using this! Thanks.

:wave: . IMG_0369.JPG

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are long distances between towns in that area. Take a map and know the distance between towns and how far one tank of gas will get you. I believe the Alcan is always under construction. There will be funky segments past Fort Saint John.

Your map should covers northern BC; most BC road maps only cover southern BC.

I don't know anything about driving in Northern Canada during March.

Never driven it at that time of the year but I'd be ready for packed snow and ice for much of the way. The Alcan is all paved (beside repair areas) but portion of the Cassiar are still gravel if you went that way as it is a little shorter (watch out for the windshield on that nice Vanagon, they seem to break easy :)

You should consider riding the ferry since it's free for the driver through April. I suspect it'd cost you 3X the cost of gas to take the ferry.

When I went up two years ago there were only two significant stretches on the Cassiar that were gravel. Both were maybe 10-20 miles max. Be sure to drive on the top half of your tank, but there were enough open places to make that easy. Howerver I was up there in June and July. I've heard good things about the Liard Hot Springs if you take the other root. I'd imagine things go tits up pretty quick on the Cassiar if the weather hits, and I would also imagine that the Alcan is a better mantained winter road, but that is a lot of supposition on my part. Have a blast and let us know about the drive. It is a beautiful one.

Its pretty much take what you get when it comes to the weather and the roads.

drive bc will give you up to date weather and road conditions so you can plan as you go.

http://www.drivebc.ca/#welcome

Ft Nelson to White horse is 1200km or so, there will be gas stations in between.

BC Gas is more than Alberta gas I believe, gas here in Vancouver is 1.20 /L

I drove down from Fairbanks to Seattle last October and traffic was really light down to Ft St John BC. Probably will be the same in March since that is still off season. The Milepost was helpful, but useless too sometimes. Many gas stations listed in the milepost were closed when we went down,. Never pass up a chance for fuel, and don't fill up at Laird hot springs, they have the highest price gas I have seen anywhere. They charged us about $10 per gallon! Also, I would not take the Cassiar off season because of reduced services. The Alcan is all paved, and in very good condition. However, don't drive after dark, too many crazy animals out there. Moose, buffalo, caribou, deer, elk, you name it. Moose like to charge across without looking, and they are dark. Wildlife department needs to put reflectors on them.

Expect severe winter conditions, especially the further north you get. If you don't already have 2 full size spare tires already mounted on rims, be sure to get them. Of course, you will likely already have winter survival gear (warm sleeping bags, winter boots, gas stove, food, etc) but get that stuff as well if you don't.

I'd 2nd the stop at Liard. Even if you have to detour back down south a bit, it is well worth the trip. Last time I was through there about 10 years ago, it was a full moon with amazing northern lights and beautiful steam coming off the water. Certainly one of the most memorial nights of my life. I think we were the only people there that night too.

Have a great trip!

I've driven from Bellingham to Yellowknife in a Kenworth and one of my coworkers went all the way to Taktyuktuk (sp?) on the Arctic coast. The roads really aren't bad but wait until you see the cost of a gallon of milk!

And I made my trip in February and I think he went in March.

Edited by Jason4

I would suggest buying a set of studs. I pretty much leave mine on from mid October through early May - and Anchorage roads are good compared to the AK Hwy. If you don't want to invest in the studs at the very least get some chains.

As other have said -- be sure to stop at Liard.... it's an awesome place!

• 1 month later...