baby front carrier

needtoclimb

I have a two-week old, and looking for a comfortable front carrier for short hikes. Anyone have any suggestions? The Snugli carrier I have now is not real comfortable with no hip belt, so it kills my lower back and the baby flops like a fish in it.

I am a 6'0 male weighing 190 lbs. Anyone have any suggestions?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With our two boys, we found that it depends on the kid. Some will like the moby, some the ergo, some neither. Both good suggestions though. Personally, I was pretty psyched when they got big enough to go in this: http://www.amazon.com/Sherpani-Rumba-Backcountry-Baby-Carrier/dp/B003BT5F70

It's a sign that the prison years are on the wane.....

The Ergo worked well for us. Really comfortable.

Only drawback is that the baby should only be facing the parent.

If there are other carriers that have good support with a hip belt and allow the baby to face forwards, then I would definitely look at those.

And then comes stroller decision: get the BOB! If you want one stroller that does everything from grocery shopping to hiking on trails (really!) to jogging, this one is it. (Make sure you get the lockable front wheel version, not the pro jogger, if all of the above are your intentions....)

We always used a baby Bjorn for hiking when the kids were that small, though my wife often used the Moby around town and generally preferred it to the Bjorn with our second.

And to second Heinrich, the Sherpani backpack is fantastic. I think we started using it around 7 or 8 months.

We ended up going through all 3... I didn't really like either the ergo or the moby wrap. I suppose I liked the ergo better than the moby wrap. But, I preferred just using the Baby Bjorn.

As soon as the kid was old enough to start facing out, he was much happier in the bjorn

With the experience of raising 4 kids, hiking with them, etc. My wife and I carried the little ones using a Japanese "onbu-himo". These are great, fold very compact, can carry a heavy 4 year old in a pinch. Baby must be old enough to resist head-flopping (2mo?). Back carry facilitates the parent working while carrying: ride a bike to store, cooking, ironing, etc. Suitable for larger child when front carry is certainly not. Hard to find, but they last forever. see YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gmw-sZByTA