Exercise bike for recovery from broken leg

Steph_Abegg

I suffered a severe broken leg back in September during a climbing accident. (It's been a tough recovery so far, I have posted a "recovery trip report" on my website:

https://sites.google.com/site/stephabegg/home/tripreports/recovery)

Anyway, I've just been cleared to start using a recumbant exercise bike. Money is pretty tight for me these days, so I was wondering if anyone had an old recumbant exercise bike lying around that I could borrow for 3-4 months??

I would be willing to pay for it too.

Please contact me at sabegg@gmail.com or respond to this post, thanks so much.

UPDATE FEB 10: I got a bike, thanks everyone for your kind words and help. Pedal, pedal, pedal...

-Steph

With this atrophy, I'll be riding that bike every chance I get.

5428700367_d5fb5e1cb6_b.jpg

Edited by Steph_Abegg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from the atrophy, which would be expected from your ordeal, your wounds are actually looking pretty good now.. Looks like you have finally put infection behind you... As you know.. it could be worse.. I'm sure you'll find your bike and begin the rebuild process of your muscle mass.. You body knows what's supposed to be down there.

Glad you're on your way back Steph...

Mark

Edited by banos

Yikes, quite the ordeal but you are right about the positive attitude. I found your journal quite fascinating and it made me feel very lucky about my own much less complicated fractures.

I can't help with a bike but I think you'll find that it will help quite a bit with both the physical and mental aspects of recovery. I also found swimming to help quite a bit for strength, cardio, and mobility during my "limited weight bearing" phase, once I figured out how to stop swimming in circles anyways. Yoga as well, even if you do a funny one-legged version and make creative use of those foam blocks.

It's still up hill from here, but you like going up hills. ;-) Good luck and best wishes!

- Stewart

Hi Steph, I feel your pain. I broke my femur about 7 1/2 years ago (hit by a car while training on my MTB on the road). It was a very painful recovery but in a few months (about 5) I had gained a lot of strength thanks to the help of a trainer and lots of careful work on the gym. Very light to no weights at first and lots of exercises using cords and plain old gravity. I mostly worked my core and upper body at first, that helped in making me feel better. After about a year I was in better shape than when I had the accident. Years after I still get some discomfort if I dont keep in shape so It motivates me get outside, work out (im not a gym person) and just be active. I do a LOT of cycling and helps a lot in keeping my legs feeling great. But, need to do some other exercises to help with lateral movement strength (cycling helps zero there) and also running performance (cycling works out slightly different muscles). The key is to have some balance, eventually.

I wish you a full recovery!

Edited by MuchosPixels

Hello Steph,

Sorry to hear about your accident - I'm sure you'll heal up soon and be back on the rock in no time....of which we can enjoy more of your TRs (excellent by the way!)

Have you ever looked at an Schwinn AirDyne? They are tremendous for recovery and rehabilitation, however afterwards it is an insane machine for cardio workouts. If you can find one on Craigslist, the investment is worth it. Worst case is that if you don't keep it, you'll still get your money out of it should you sell.

Here's to your recovery!