Absolute puffy jacket failure

Bosterson

I'm in the market for a new puffy jacket. My current one is a Patagonia Micro Puff pullover, which is a good weight but the cut is really boxy (and thus baggy) and it has the worst designed (half-elasticized) cuffs ever. I'm having trouble finding a good replacement, though. My criteria: lightweight (not belay jacket warm, but also not super UL - maybe like old midweight fleece warmth), synthetic fill (cause we're in the NW), and the main debacle I'm having is the cut. My shoulders are way wider than my torso, so for jackets that aren't baggy, I can barely cross my arms, but when I can, there's tons of dead space around the waist. I thought I'd found a winner with the Arc'teryx Atom LT, but it was just a little too tight under the arms/across the back in medium (I'd like to be able to put a light fleece under it), and while the large fixed that problem, it was then baggy and way too long. It also turns out that the Atom LT doesn't have a hem drawcord, so that sealed the deal against it.

Arc'teryx's cut usually fits me pretty well, and that jacket was the right amount of warmth. (The SV is too heavy.) The Patagonia Nano is too boxy; Montbell isn't wide enough in the shoulders; ditto for Mountain Hardwear; etc. I'm stumped. Anyone have suggestions before I turn to trying to sew together a custom fit jacket for myself?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rab would be worth a try. I really like my Xenon, though the hood is of the under helmet variety and possibly the only thing I'd change. Rab's cut is generally different enough from the standards to see if it's for you. Some of their Generator line is hoodless if your looking that route.

I'm in the market for a new puffy jacket. My current one is a Patagonia Micro Puff pullover, which is a good weight but the cut is really boxy (and thus baggy) and it has the worst designed (half-elasticized) cuffs ever. I'm having trouble finding a good replacement, though. My criteria: lightweight (not belay jacket warm, but also not super UL - maybe like old midweight fleece warmth), synthetic fill (cause we're in the NW), and the main debacle I'm having is the cut. My shoulders are way wider than my torso, so for jackets that aren't baggy, I can barely cross my arms, but when I can, there's tons of dead space around the waist. I thought I'd found a winner with the Arc'teryx Atom LT, but it was just a little too tight under the arms/across the back in medium (I'd like to be able to put a light fleece under it), and while the large fixed that problem, it was then baggy and way too long. It also turns out that the Atom LT doesn't have a hem drawcord, so that sealed the deal against it.

Arc'teryx's cut usually fits me pretty well, and that jacket was the right amount of warmth. (The SV is too heavy.) The Patagonia Nano is too boxy; Montbell isn't wide enough in the shoulders; ditto for Mountain Hardwear; etc. I'm stumped. Anyone have suggestions before I turn to trying to sew together a custom fit jacket for myself?

This could practically be an advertisement for the Arcteryx Atom LT Hoody. Try it out, I doubt you will be disappointed.

Edited by Julian

I have and like my Patagonia Micropuff but agree that the cut is ridiculous which is disappointing since Pataqonia usually fits me well. I also have larger shoulders and a narrowish waist (44 reg jacket /32 pants) and the Wild Things in medium fit me really well. Wild Things EP Jacket and the Primaloft Sweater would fit the bill http://www.bradleyalpinist.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=192. Maybe look at what OR has as well. I have an OR wind shirt that fits really well, although I had to size up from what I normally wear.

Edited by DPS

The Patagonia Nano is too boxy; Montbell isn't wide enough in the shoulders; ditto for Mountain Hardwear; etc. I'm stumped. Anyone have suggestions before I turn to trying to sew together a custom fit jacket for myself?

Why don't you just buy another Nano and simply take it to a tailor and have them slim down the torso?

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just for clarity, I am not looking for a climbing jacket. This would be mostly for backpacking/hiking, as something to wear in cold weather when I stop moving and am starting to chill. Thus, no need for a hood, and I'd like to keep it a bit lighter/more packable than the usual belay jacket.

The EB stuff has the worst fit of all - totally too narrow under the arms. The MEC Uplink seems cool but I don't think it'd be warm enough. Is the Arc'teryx Atom LT Hoody different from the jacket? Cause the jacket doesn't have a hem drawcord, just a tensioned bit of fabric that's supposed to lie flat around your hips, but no way to cinch it in to keep out cold air.

I've been interested in checking out Rab stuff for a while (Wild Things too). Anyone know if there's anywhere in the Portland area where you can try their stuff on, or is it only a mailorder type thing?

If you like everything about the nanopuff except for the boxy fit, try the full zip jacket. Pullovers have to be boxy so you can, you know, pull it over.

I have a 42" chest and a 33" waist. My nanopuff goes skiing with me, and I'll take my Mammut or Montbell climbing (to go under the shell).

My go-to piece though is my Rab Vapour Rise. It's easily one of the best active tops/insulation I've ever owned.

Edited by Figger_Eight