[TR] Rock Creek Oregon - 2/5/2011

vert

Trip: Rock Creek Oregon -

Date: 2/5/2011

Trip Report:

Made it up to Rock Creek in the elk horn mountains for some great climbing this past weekend. The approach is six miles in and beware of the ice on rock creek lane! The photos are a little mixed up and funky but the routes are tobacco gully, nicotine free, and my new route rollover, a fine M7 named after my mishap on the way out!! I_scratched_it.JPG

Nicotine_free.jpgThe pillar of nicotine freeJP_taking_tobacco_gully_in_stride.jpgJP cruising tobacco gully Starting_the_crux_of_rollover.jpg Beginning the crux of rolloverRollover_M7.jpgRollover M7Finishing_the_crux_of_rollover.jpgFinishing on the thin ice

Edited by vert

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to Mark Weber for his permission to post his images of the climbing action! It was a really scary ride for me, no traction at all. Almost off the down hill side into the timber, I gave it enough throttle to make it back across to the up hill side; hooked up with the bank, and she whipped around on the ice to a combo rollover/hockey stop.

Edited by vert

Yeah thats it. I guess after thirty years of driving around here it was bound to happen. I was caught off guard, held on to the wheel and rode it out. Trying to open that door from inside was a bitch. Luckily, no one was with me and i did not get hurt. Its in the shop and the damages are minimal considering. The canopy is unscathed!

Did that NH once in a blinding storm with snow so deep and soft it took me awhile to even realize it was happening. It was like driving in and rolling over in a ditch of jello. Hope it wasn't bent too badly.

Nice looking lines done in a great style from the look of it.

I called the local towing outfit, superior towing from Baker City. They showed up with a standard tow truck and a jeep equipped with a winch. The guy driving the jeep gets out and states that its not so slick (thinking I was another touron driver) seconds before biting it on his face. Good comedy!! Any way, they hauled it into town as I was late for a friends retirement party. The next day, I taped up the window openings and then drove easy back to LaGrande. My route is all gear but I carried pins with the intent of fixing at least one at the crux. (I had top roped this line once two weeks previous, it is just left of nicotine free). Once at the crux, I realized that trying to fix that pin was not going to happen so I yarded up on the left tool and stuffed that green cam behind a spike. The gear was good but it would be reassuring to have a known bomber piece right there.