Fire vs Synthetics

billbob

Didja know that if your synthetic clothing catches fire it will stick to your skin as it continues to burn? Yup.

The ER doc tried using a scalpel to get the melted stuff out but called it off after an hour. Plastic and skin were fused into a strange and ugly substance. Apparently it is just better to wrap it all up and wait, scrub daily to avoid infection.

burn_hand-2_Feb4_2011.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, we know. That's why they wear cotton or wool in the military. What the heck happened to you though? That looks damn painful. Hope it didn't get on your face.

BTW, Mythbusters recently did this test where they used pepper spray and an tazer to see if they could ignite someone. I didn't see the whole show, but do know that the police have torched a couple folks. The choice of clothing played a roll, with fleece and some other synthetic being the least flame resistant. They used a dummy wire rack in place of actual flesh like you seem to have done. Ouch!

jeebus dood! wtf?

had 3rd degree burns all over my hands after an hour of rage at my boy scout camp when i was 14 - scout master pissed me off, so i set his "leadership flag" on fire - he'd made it out of some synthetic cloth, and when it started to ignite the wooden frame aroudn it, in the middle of the woods, i freaked and tried bashing it down w/ my flashlight, only to have the whole melting, gobby mess collapse around my hand and start sizzling in - later, the comical and obvious handshadow burned into the flashlight was a family heirloom :)

I was naked at the time.

As you aren't going to spill the whole can of beans we'll have to let our imaginations run crazy:-) That there indicates some real potential for kinkiness. I'm imagining some 151 Bacardi Gold was involved. She must be off the hook crazy. 8D

:shock:

I was naked at the time.

As you aren't going to spill the whole can of beans we'll have to let our imaginations run crazy:-) That there indicates some real potential for kinkiness. I'm imagining some 151 Bacardi Gold was involved. She must be off the hook crazy. 8D

:shock:

I was thinking the same thing... Looks like a terrible burn but now we are sure wondering what the scoup is... :o