Boots for Liberty Ridge

Autoxfil

It's kinda silly asking because I understand the pros and cons of different boot choices, but sometimes other people's opinions help me think it through.

I have Raichle 80-degree single boots, (Kinda like a Nepal Evo), and Invernos with Intuition liners. With the Intuitions there's not a ton of difference in weight.

The plastics hike well enough in snow, but I'd pack them to the snowline and wear super-light sneakers for the approach. The Raichles hike better, but aren't that much lighter. I might pack them on the approach too, but probably not. The Raichles climb much better.

Both fit quite well and I've done multi-day trips in each without issue. So - more comfort while climbing, or clunky plastics and nice dry liners each morning, and overkill warmth for toasty toes? My feet get chilly ice climbing in the Raichles here in the NE, but it's usually colder here in the winter than Lib Ridge.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends upon when you are planning your trip. A lot of folks plan their Liberty Ridge trip as early in the season as possible after the White River Road opens, typically Memorial Day weekend.

If that is your strategy I would go with plastic boots since you will be on snow most of the way and the Invernos will be nice to have.

If you are planning on a later ascent, say late June - early July, I would suggest the leather boots and forget the approach sneakers.

For me, late May to early June is when I switch from my plastics (or AT boots) to leathers on Rainier.

I'm going in the middle of June (second full week), after my school-teacher climbing partner gets off for the summer.

I guess the best strategy might be to just check the forecast the day I leave - it's not like a heavy single boot will give me frostbite (unless I eff up in other ways), and it's not like dragging plastics up on a warm day will hurt me any either.